Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Does anyone??? Do Tell! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/does-anyone-do-tell-t75624.html)

2livesdown7togo 11-12-2010 09:23 AM

A long time ago, our family had odd schedules that meant hubby got home earliest, so I would write out the week's menu on a calendar with the names and pages of the cookbooks. Otherwise we'd be eating very late waiting for me to get it done, since we didn't do fast food or frozen dinners.

These days it's reversed, he's the one with the odd schedule so I fix what I want and keep it heated for him.

desertrose 11-12-2010 09:24 AM

I've shopped with a flexiable meal plan for over 45 yrs. and wouldn't do it any other way. I don't stick to a Tues. or Wed. turns out to be bad day for schedules I just substitute and easier prepartion meal for that night. It makes life so much easier and avoids impluse buying at the end of a bad day. It's the only way I could have fed a family of five for $60/wk in the 80's. My kids came to me when they were on their own and asked me how I saved money on food. I was only too happy to show them.

Andie

Dawn Hendrix 11-12-2010 09:24 AM

I do for budget purposes... save sooo much in grocery shopping and in trips to the dang store!

elise 11-12-2010 04:19 PM

I COOK ON MONDAY FOR THE WHOLE WEEK. THEN I CAN GET MORE QUILTING DONE.ELISE

amma 11-12-2010 04:31 PM

When my kids were still at home I did.
I only bought the bulk of my groceries when it was on sale. I would stock up on mainly those items. I had a large pantry area, and a freezer too.
I made out a list to include fresh foods, etc.. and then made a menu plan for the week. Often I would start food in the crockpot in the morning before leaving to go to work.
I also froze many meals, cooking 3-6 meals worth at a time.
I had to budget, but we all ate very well and healthy too :D:D:D

Jill 11-12-2010 07:52 PM

I have made menus for a long time, although we change when something doesn't sound that appetizing for some reason. I do all of it on the computer now, even my shopping list. I have my menus in columns, and at the bottom of the column I list the ingredients I need for those meals, then I check my pantry/freezer/fridge before making my grocery list.

Jill

dljennings 11-12-2010 08:26 PM

i use the foodsaver vacuum thing a lot... if i make tuna casserole, i make lots of it & freeze a couple meals worth, same with lasanga & a few other things, especially soups.. then when i get home, i throw the stockpot full of hot water on the stove, after it's boiling, throw the bag of whatever in, and it works like a giant boil in bag...

since dh has started doing a lot of traveling for work, if it is just dd & myself, grilled cheese is our favorite.. quick, easy, only one pan to clean!

catrancher 11-13-2010 09:40 AM

I plan my meals for a week and make my grocery list from the plan. Most of the time I stick to it. I used to make a new recipe every night. I did that for about two years before I got tired of it.

Quilter2B 11-14-2010 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by KatFish
It does save time. I don't know about money. I tend to just keep staples on hand and plan my meals around what ever is on sale.

Thats me too. Sometimes I can have a good plan based on what is in the freezer but sometimes nothing sounds good.

Rann 11-15-2010 08:05 AM

I saw this somewhere the other day (maybe on here) "the only reason I have a kitchen is that it came with the house." Since I am a household of 1, I eat what is quick and easy and boy are all those fast foods and restaurants a mile from my house quick and easy.