Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Does anyone out there also sew non quilting items? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/does-anyone-out-there-also-sew-non-quilting-items-t104562.html)

maryb119 03-03-2011 06:03 AM

I am a bridal seamstress. I used to work for a large bridal shop. I did alterations on wedding gowns and bridesmaids dresses as well as made matching flower girls dresses and miniture bridal gowns. It's a high stress job and when I left there, I worked at the LQS. I've always been sewing something.

Connie in CO 03-03-2011 06:03 AM

E-Q,i have these old 10yrs,cheap thin ****make something with linings.Connie in CO

Connie in CO 03-03-2011 06:05 AM

No more little girls to make Barbie outfits.

Sue Fish 03-03-2011 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by janetter
Before I started quilting I was making window treatments. We just moved after I finally finished a window treatment for every window in that house. grrrr I would love to talk to those of you who have an interest in this and would have anything to share.

I love little sewing projects like totes. Snap bags. Wallets etc etc

Connie in CO 03-03-2011 06:14 AM

Sue,snap bags are fun to make.Connie in CO

Moonglow 03-03-2011 06:14 AM

When my boys were small I made their jeans and sweat shirts. Now I sew for my grandchildren - quilts, costumes and anything else they need.

gal288 03-03-2011 06:20 AM

Hi Janette,

I do all my window treatments, years ago I purchased a good book, covers all elements of sewing curtains, from drapes to shades, valances, et.

Sunset press, Curtains, draperies & shades is the name, don't know if it's still in print, but I'm sure there is something like it. It has been my bible for years, and I have done some really difficult treatments, without this book I'm not sure they would have come out so well.

Good luck

Julianna 03-03-2011 06:52 AM

I learned to sew on my grandmothers old tredle machine, won a new electric one in a contest when I was 12 and have sewn all my life... everything from baby clothes to wedding gowns, curtains to quilts, costumes and more. Just finished sewing a new cover for the tractor seat - looks better than the duct tape! Remember the sewing requirements for 4-H Clubs, remember Home Economics classes in school (none today and thats a pity) and remember all the fun of learning to "un-sew"?

Maggiemay 03-03-2011 07:10 AM

I love any kind of sewing. I have made window treatments & curtains for 5 different houses that we have lived in & have done some for friends. I used to make a lot of clothes & still do if a special need arises.

Ditter43 03-03-2011 07:21 AM

You name it, I have probably sewn it (or tried to)Everything from clothes to upholstery and draperies, a tent for the grandkids, etc, etc........