Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Does the post office really deliver in the snow? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/does-post-office-really-deliver-snow-t88492.html)

quilt3311 01-08-2011 05:48 AM

It has to be really bad before the mail doesn't get delivered. Last winter we had a 3 day blizzard with snow banks out in the country side that were 10- 15 foot high, the mail didn't get through for about 2 days after it stopped snowing.

Aunt Patti 01-08-2011 06:02 AM

yes they do at least here in Mich. they do.If you have a walking carrier he doesn't have to deliver if your sidewalks aren't cleaned. the only other time they wont deliver is if the schools and banks are closed because of blizzard conditions. So the old poem pretty much is still good . through rain anice and snow and sleet the mail will go through AuntPatti!!!! :lol: :lol:

grannypat7925 01-08-2011 06:23 AM

My grandson is a postman in Colorado and yes they deliver in the snow!!

nanac 01-08-2011 07:22 AM

Live in NW Ohio, we always get our mail. I should add that we are usually last on the route, so by the time we do get our mail, all the roads have been plowed, and are reasonably clear.

Aurora 01-08-2011 07:23 AM

In rural areas I think they deliver as long as they can pull up to the mail box. Once someone parked in front of our mailbox and the mail was not delivered. When we got our mail, one piece was noted "Could not deliver Saturday. Mailbox access was blocked."

Joanne 01-08-2011 07:39 AM

Here in Mass.it is a gamble if you get any mail. When we first moved to this condo, we had to pick up our mail at the Post Office. Then the developer of the condo built an outdoor mail box-at the entrance of the complex-with boxes the size of a number 10 envelope so things get crammed in and hard to remove. Because this is a "new" complex, we are not assigned a regular mail person. Some days there is no mail delivery winter or summer. The food ads arrive the last day of the sale so I know we never see a lot of things. I have a box at the Post Office now.

caspoohbear 01-08-2011 08:07 AM

We always get our mail, but our mailman has repeatedly thanked us for clearing the plow snow from in front of the mailbox, so he can actually pull up close enough, many people don't and then he has to get out of his vehicle on a snow covered, icy, slippery road with traffic coming and trudge through the snow to give you your telephone bill (or whatever) I have noticed we're more likely to get the little postcard that says there's a package we have to pick up instead of it being walked up to our door in the winter, but then again, I'd be mad if the snow soaked through it too!

Nanjun 01-08-2011 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by charmpacksplus
Since I don't live in an area where it snows much, I don't know if the post office really delivers in snowed in places. I think if it snowed here in south Louisiana we would not get our mail delivered because no vehicles around here are equiped to drive on snow and ice. How is it where you are?

Hi Janelle, We will soon find our. Sleet and ice forecast for Sunday and low temps all next week.

craftymatt2 01-08-2011 09:35 AM

Have you heard of the saying, "during rain, snow and sleet," and more recently mudslides and fires

huntannette 01-08-2011 01:28 PM

Ha ha ha !!!! haven`t you heard "Neither Rain, Nor Sleet, Nor gloom of night" ......I live in Northern Ontario where it snows 6 to 7 months of the year...even had snow on the 1rst of July one year, and yes...the mail gets through on a daily basis....thy have no choice!!!!