Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Dog beds (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/dog-beds-t33504.html)

Mamagus 01-07-2010 04:11 PM

My sheltie was a chewer too... he destroyed everything that went in the crate with him... then I used velcro.\

I put velcro strips (adhesive type) on the crate floor close to the edge. Made a thin pad the exact size as the floor of the crate and attached the velcro to it. As clever as he is, he couldn't get a grip on the pad or the edges. I made sure he had other things to distract him in the crate and after a few tries he moved on...

beachlady 01-07-2010 04:45 PM

He is adorable! Used to have Bassets. No suggestions about bedding, but the painter's cloth sounds like a good idea.

Moonpi 01-07-2010 04:59 PM

At that age, he'll chew whatever he can get. A scruffy old blanket for now, and lots of chew toys until all his big dog teeth are in would be my suggestion.

amma 01-07-2010 11:22 PM

maybe hang a chew toy up in his crate? It would be a little more of a challenge for him and he might leave his bedding alone?

Deecee 01-08-2010 12:02 AM

I would go with whatever was cheap to replace until he grows out of chewing everything.

Definitely agree with amma about hanging up something to occupy him - a nice big raw hide chew.

thseabreze 01-08-2010 04:16 AM

I made a large piece for the floor, for my wire fox terriers to play on. I used the fabric that sweats are made of, I can't think of the name of it right now, but it is great, and so easy to wash and keep clean. It doesn't crawl on the carpet either when they play. Wft's eat everything.....and they have not bothered this material.
I also, made for one of their beds, a case, made from the cotton muslin, for the stuffing for the bed. It is east to remove and wash now..it's like a big pillow case, but all ends are sewn closed. Hope this helps.

craftmama 01-08-2010 10:01 AM

we recently "inherited" a miniature dachsaund who was not potty trained. I finally got her a crate and she ate and messed all the bedding I put in there. Now I put an old, fresh, clean bath towel in there and I don't have to worry if it gets messed up. (she loves it)

Linsoblu 01-09-2010 08:37 AM

He's just to cute. I'll be glad to hear what others say to use as I would like to make some too! I like to find a pattern for one that is like a sleeping bag as one of my Dachshunds likes get inside the fleece cover I made for him. He's got into my pant leg a few times if they get left on the floor and when I have to help him get out.:)

Linsoblu 01-09-2010 08:37 AM

He's just to cute. I'll be glad to hear what others say to use as I would like to make some too! I like to find a pattern for one that is like a sleeping bag as one of my Dachshunds likes get inside the fleece cover I made for him. He's got into my pant leg a few times if they get left on the floor and when I have to help him get out.:)

fluffbug95 01-09-2010 09:05 AM

He is adorable!!! I love Basset Hounds! They are so cute looking and the long ears just adds to it! :) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: