Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Facebook???? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/facebook-t86090.html)

trisha 12-29-2010 08:21 PM

I had Facebook for a while, but it didn't make any sense to me, since most of the people I know don't have it either. I cancelled it and must say don't miss it at all.

FQ Stash Queen 12-29-2010 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by Shari1967
Well, I'm addicted!
I have a 20, 18 and 16 year old.....so if I'm gonna be part of their lives I had to get FB. lol They don't even email anymore. Messaging them privately is the way to reach them. (that and texting which I know do as well...even upgraded my phone so it'd be easier on me LOL)

Us old folk have FB for exactly that reason - to find out info about our kids and family. :roll: From SIL found out her son was married on FB. As I've started using it, I've started finding friends from high school and am having a blast catching up. But I had some fabulous, talented and fun friends, including doctors, lawyers, vet, ship captain, inventor, professor, rocket scientist. But really, it's how to keep up with the younger generation. For some unknown reason, they choose to share their business with the world. ;)

Texasjunebug 12-29-2010 08:27 PM

That's one trouble with Facebook - if you decide to "cancel" it, it retains your full accounts of any information you had posted. IOW, your information is not deleted from all servers.

Rhonda 12-29-2010 08:29 PM

I love Facebook. I can get pictures from my DIL and DGDIL of my grandbabies. I have reconnected with family members I never see anymore. I love being able to talk to a childhood friend who is in the Phillipines as a missionary and I haven't see in 40 years!! I enjoy being apart of a group of friends that I can talk to anytime I want to. Some are family and some are quilting friends or school friends. It is a good thing in my life. I am my DHs care giver 24/7 so it is a way to keep in touch. We don't leave home much.

Texasjunebug 12-29-2010 08:31 PM

Note to teens and young people. Many employers are now doing a Facebook background check - which gives them information about your friends, activities, interests, where you've lived, and your political views (should you have one) etc. I've also heard of mortgage lenders doing the same thing. Just saying - beware what you say and what you do.

charmpacksplus 12-29-2010 08:55 PM

I love Facebook! Earlier tonight we were having a real windy rainy storm and a neighbor's trash can blew over into my yard. I said something about it on Facebook and he was outside picking it up within a few minutes. I didn't have to call him or email him... he just knew LOL

donnajean 12-30-2010 06:42 AM

Don't have one - don't want one. I prefer personal contact if I want someone to know something about me.

BMP 12-30-2010 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by Texasjunebug
Note to teens and young people. Many employers are now doing a Facebook background check - which gives them information about your friends, activities, interests, where you've lived, and your political views (should you have one) etc. I've also heard of mortgage lenders doing the same thing. Just saying - beware what you say and what you do.

I was told this can only be done IF your settings are not set up to private, I have one but dont post often and when I do its nothing that could come back and bite my behind....
I have found alot of old school mates that I have often wondered about.

sueisallaboutquilts 12-30-2010 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by Texasjunebug

I must be really out of the loop. I thought something like this would be illegal. Guess not..............

Barbm 12-30-2010 09:14 AM

I have a fb account- to keep up with my kids mainly. I post often- if I don't I get messages from my "followers"- my friends who read my posts because I do my best to put something positive there. I use it as a motivator for others.

I have my settings set to friends only and friend only people I know.

Just remember- whatever is on the internet doesn't die and is public domain. So be careful!