Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Flooding! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/flooding-t56054.html)

Jingle 07-25-2010 05:56 PM

Flooding would be the pits, some areas around St. Louis have floods. We our on one of the highest parts of Missouri and will never have to worry about it. Some not real far from us have the worry.

wvdek 07-25-2010 08:41 PM

Gosh, that is awaful. Hope it doesn't get any worse for you all.

My DS is on his way to Springfield. MO tomorrow. I better let him know.

Alu_Rathbone 07-25-2010 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by wvdek
Gosh, that is awaful. Hope it doesn't get any worse for you all.

My DS is on his way to Springfield. MO tomorrow. I better let him know.

The flooding receded... but that was just our area... not sure about other.s

earthwalker 07-25-2010 09:05 PM

Wow, what a disastrous mess to clean up after. Glad you are not affected, but stay safe. I can only imagine all the health implications the flooding will cause.

tigger5464 07-25-2010 09:46 PM

I am sorry for the problems that you are having. :( So far this year we are ok....for now. Other than the sanitary sewer backing up in our basement.... :( YUK!!! I'm just hoping that we won't have problems here in Iowa like we did in 2008...people and communities are still trying to recover from that :(

Alu_Rathbone 07-25-2010 09:55 PM

I remember that storm!!! I had to figure out a whole route for my mom to get to work... she had to get home on her own! That storm hit us hard!

The year before that we had a really really bad storm, and half the area was in the dark. We had a slight break in the storm and my aunts friend kept trying to tell us that we were in the Eye of a tornado... Now, I've never been in a tornado, BUT I happen to know that the eye is the most violent part... I wanted to smack her.

Lisanne 07-25-2010 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by Alu_Rathbone
Now, I've never been in a tornado, BUT I happen to know that the eye is the most violent part... I wanted to smack her.

No, the eye is a center of calm. Think about how tornadoes are often shaped like funnels. All the force is in the cylinder part. The center is just empty space, no force.

You've heard the expression, "the eye of the storm," right? It means a calm space in the middle of the storn's fury.

Marye 07-25-2010 11:46 PM

Wish we could have some rain here in SC, at 3:45 AM it is 81 degrees and heat index is 86. Hot and humid before the sun ever gets up.

cyniree 07-26-2010 04:35 AM

oh, wow

Tink's Mom 07-26-2010 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by Tink's Mom
I think the bread at Liborio's is the best....I will occasionally drive down there for good bread if I am making meatballs. I don't think I've been there this year. Cake bakery? interesting...I wonder if it is Cake Girls? They had a bad fire earlier this year....they are on one of the tv shows about wedding cakes.

My son is lead guitarist in a band and they will be playing in a battle of the bands at Arlington Park next Friday...they will preform between races, against 2 other bands...the winner gets to preform in a big concert. Bands name is "Back Alley Rumble"??? I keep forgetting the name...I remember the former name.

:oops: :oops: Shame on me! His band's name is "BackAlleyRiot" :oops: