Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Gas Prices!! OUCH! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/gas-prices-ouch-t102838.html)

Rose L 02-24-2011 09:38 PM

I drive a diesel pickup because I have a fifth wheel RV which I can no longer even afford to take out of the yard. My dream , I saved for all my working life. I filled up in central Nebraska this morning at $3.74! When I used to take my RV out my pickup got 9-10 mpg. That's an expensive vacation folks!! Remember when camping used to be the poor man's (woman's) vacation

I have some pretty strong opinions about this subject but since it is off topic for this forum, I'll keep it bottled up inside until I explode. LOL!

KarenSimon 02-24-2011 09:41 PM

$3.09 to $3.19 in Tucson AZ

Momma_K 02-24-2011 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by Rose L
I drive a diesel pickup because I have a fifth wheel RV which I can no longer even afford to take out of the yard. My dream , I saved for all my working life. I filled up in central Nebraska this morning at $3.74! When I used to take my RV out my pickup got 9-10 mpg. That's an expensive vacation folks!! Remember when camping used to be the poor man's (woman's) vacation

I have some pretty strong opinions about this subject but since it is off topic for this forum, I'll keep it bottled up inside until I explode. LOL!

I can only imagine what your opinions are!! I know the feeling!! :thumbup:

tjradj 02-24-2011 09:46 PM

Until things settle down in the Middle East (yeah, right) you're going to see the high prices.
Here in SW Ontario, it shot up from $1.09 to $1.20 per litre overnight. *multiply by 4 to get per gallon, approx.

Ileen 02-24-2011 10:15 PM

$3.69 I am Going To stop Driving for a while.

Anne P 02-24-2011 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by cathyvv
My husband and friends thought I was nuts to buy a Honda Civic in 2005...now they think I was clairvoyant!

Do you think our government will ever get the message that this insane dependence on foreign oil is INSANE and must end?

It's truly ridiculous because I've heard we get only about 10% of our gas from overseas. I also heard it's going up because the powers that be are afraid that there will be a shortage from the Middle East and that China and other countries will demand so much that it will be hard to get. I think it's all so political and artificial.
And, of course, it effects EVERYTHING :thumbdown: Now, not only is there a shortage of cotton (hence higher prices there), but tranpsporting it is more expensive so we pay for that,
too :-( Of course, this applies to everything we buy because it's all transported from somewhere. It's getting grim.

C.Cal Quilt Girl 02-24-2011 11:11 PM

3.89 and that was at the normally reasonibly priced place...get ready here it goes again, diesel even higher, maybe time to re tap our own till things stabilize. JMO

SewsonSaturday 02-24-2011 11:13 PM

bakersfield ita 3.99 at most cheverons on the sw side if town but most other gas stations down town it was about 3.49 to 3.79

Rose L 02-24-2011 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by Ileen
$3.69 I am Going To stop Driving for a while.

I live in a tiny town with a grocery store and a gas station. I have to drive 30 miles to get to the next closeset town and over 3 hours to even get to a Walmart. Rural America was in sad shape before but the fuel prices are strangling us out here. I only leave town once a month to get my RX's refilled. My DH is a farmer, I don't even want to think about running the tractors this coming year.

justflyingin 02-24-2011 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99
My understanding is that gasoline has been $5 to $7 a gallon in Europe for many years.

It's true. We drive fuel efficient vehicles, for the most part and make trips count. It takes over $100 to fill up my tank.