Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Giving instructiion/directions - - - (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/giving-instructiion-directions-t270148.html)

madamekelly 09-20-2015 10:59 AM

I have had that happen accidentally as I assembled, and took it out and resewed, but always wondered if you could just snip in the center and repress flat, or would that leave a weak spot. Anyone know?

madamekelly 09-20-2015 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray (Post 7321964)

However - I do have a dreadful time with verbal destination directions. There seems to be something in my brain that just does not process them well.

Me too. My DD, who has a near photographic memory, says I have "a defective mother board". :p

Stitchit123 09-20-2015 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by madamekelly (Post 7322462)
I have had that happen accidentally as I assembled, and took it out and resewed, but always wondered if you could just snip in the center and repress flat, or would that leave a weak spot. Anyone know?

Yes it does leave a weak area. My friend wanted me to teach her to quilt and some did the bottom example so she got tired of redoing these area's and no matter what I said it was her choice. Once the top was finished I sent it home with her and told her to wash and dry it---every one of her snipped seams came apart. The process to then tear out and replace each area was days of added work. She offered to pay me to re-do her mistakes but when I said yes but it would cost her $2 per she counted them and picked up the seam ripper. She is now down to the binding and can't wait to start her next quilt.

bearisgray 09-20-2015 12:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
When I've had a twisted seam - I clip each side of the seam separately -

I don't know if it really lessens the weakness of the clipped area - but I like to think it does - -

pal 09-21-2015 07:39 AM

giving instruction/directions

When I give directions for how to do something, I always assume that the person getting the instructions has never done any hand sewing at all. I usually apologize first so that no one thinks I am talking down to them - then I start at the beginning. I once had to re-sew the arms and legs on 12 rag dolls because I didn't tell the ladies to use two strands of thread when sewing them on, and nobody knew enough about sewing to ask. Lesson learned, don't assume people "just know"..

Friday1961 09-21-2015 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by pal (Post 7323481)
When I give directions for how to do something, I always assume that the person getting the instructions has never done any hand sewing at all. I usually apologize first so that no one thinks I am talking down to them - then I start at the beginning. I once had to re-sew the arms and legs on 12 rag dolls because I didn't tell the ladies to use two strands of thread when sewing them on, and nobody knew enough about sewing to ask. Lesson learned, don't assume people "just know"..

It's true about anything. People don't know what they "don't know." It sometimes amazes me when I have actually learned something to realize what I thought I knew about it before I learned it! ....if that makes sense!

bearisgray 09-21-2015 09:11 AM

When an someone asks "any questions?" after a lecture or demonstration - I KNOW I will have some questions - I just don't know what they are then.

QuiltingVagabond 09-21-2015 01:56 PM

One day a couple of years ago, as I left for work, I told my DH that if he went into town that day to pick up some mulch and water softener salt.
I was in shock when I came home to a trailer loaded with an entire pallet of mulch and an entire pallet of salt!!!
We finally used all the salt, but I still have 20 bags of mulch LOL

Next time I MUST BE SPECIFIC.........LOL

bearisgray 09-22-2015 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltingVagabond (Post 7323899)
One day a couple of years ago, as I left for work, I told my DH that if he went into town that day to pick up some mulch and water softener salt.
I was in shock when I came home to a trailer loaded with an entire pallet of mulch and an entire pallet of salt!!!
We finally used all the salt, but I still have 20 bags of mulch LOL

Next time I MUST BE SPECIFIC.........LOL

You did say "some" - - - - LOL