Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Has anybody noticed this shortage in the US ?? :) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/has-anybody-noticed-shortage-us-t242869.html)

Friday1961 03-10-2014 10:10 AM

Yes, I've noticed! Not only have the rolls become shorter (as in cardboard roller width) with less paper on each roll, the prices have risen! I've already commented than soon they will be the width of adding machine paper!

crafty pat 03-10-2014 10:52 AM

I have noticed this in Chairman, bounty and Puffs. And all the other things you have all talked about. a lot of fabric isn't as wide. Face creams and other makeup has thicker jars and less products. Here in Texas we have a wonderful ice cream called Blue Bell. They still sell by the gallon and pints. They keep their prices good and it is the best tasting ice cream ever so I buy nothing else.

selm 03-10-2014 11:07 AM

Scott toilet tissue did that a few years ago. Then I noticed that the Glad wrap is shorter also - very irritating as I have large plates and it is hard to make the wrap cover from edge to edge. Then there's all the food items - tuna used to come in 7 oz cans; now it is 5 oz. Ice cream used to be half a gallon; now it is 1.50 quarts. And it goes on and on.

MaggieLou 03-10-2014 11:11 AM

Remember when TP only came in one size roll and it was the size of the "mega" rolls now?

selm 03-10-2014 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by quiltin-nannie (Post 6618536)
And what's sad is there is nothing we can do about it, save boycotting the products. However, I'm thinking toilet paper is one product we really have to have!! I can't imagine what it will be like by the time our grandkids are our age!

The problem of downsizing the toilet paper is that we all spend more time changing out the roll!!! lol

joy 03-10-2014 11:13 AM

It is all about making money but not for us !!! Some things are packed in 6's... now they are packed in 5's for the same price.... saw that a few years ago...

Doggramma 03-10-2014 11:18 AM

This has been annoying me for years! Like getting a box of crackers, same size box as usual, and only 1/3 full but the same price. I've been buying those individual puddings, and last year noticed there are 4 instead of 6 and they're the same price! I feel like I'm the stupid one for continuing to buy these things....but I like my puddings. And you have to have TP

luci4 03-10-2014 11:58 AM

Quantity/size is down, price is up.

PurplePassion 03-10-2014 12:53 PM

I have notice these downsizing of products for the last couple of years. But what really gets me is the cake mixes; when I took my cake out of the oven and the pan was only half full; I thought I didn't mix it right.

linhawk 03-10-2014 12:56 PM

yes, I have noticed that for quite some time now. Some mfgs cut the size of a product (shampoo) increase the price then put it back to the original size and say..so many ounces free. Cracks me up. Sometimes I email them and let them know.. that I know! We have so many dumb people that they think we al are dumb.