Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Headed to the Northeast (US) this June/July. What should I see? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/headed-northeast-us-june-july-what-should-i-see-t120139.html)

MartyT 05-06-2011 02:51 AM

Knights is one of my favorite stops in southern Maine. They always seem to have something new--at least new to me! While in that area, stop by the Nubble Lighthouse...a superb photo op!

MartyT 05-06-2011 02:54 AM

Peak's Island, just off from Portland, Maine, is a fun day trip, accessible only by Ferry. As a midwesterner, the whole idea is just fun to think about and experience.

dljennings 05-06-2011 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by QBeth
While in Vermont, consideer going to the Vermont Teddy Bear Factory! It's a wonderful tour on how the bears are made, repaired, etc.

As for Ben & Jerry's, I wasn't impressed. People tell me it used to be better a few years back before it was bought from the original owners. Also, the tour, if I remember correctly, involved a lot of stairs.

Just MHO.

we did that "tour" just climb a long flight of stairs & overlook the factory floor, where pieces of equipment are numbered... i'd skip it..

if you go to boston, hit the "no name" restaraunt on the fish pier...great food, lots of it & cheap!

or go to quincy market & eat your way thru... everything from sushi to italian to greek... something for everyone...

dljennings 05-06-2011 04:45 PM

also, strawberry banke in portsmouth nh... great old neighborhood similar to old sturbridge village and plymouth plantation.. but lots of different time frames.. shows how the use of the bldgs changed... great place.

booklady 05-06-2011 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by MartyT
Peak's Island, just off from Portland, Maine, is a fun day trip, accessible only by Ferry. As a midwesterner, the whole idea is just fun to think about and experience.

This one sounds interesting.
I'll look into it!

booklady 05-06-2011 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by dljennings
also, strawberry banke in portsmouth nh... great old neighborhood similar to old sturbridge village and plymouth plantation.. but lots of different time frames.. shows how the use of the bldgs changed... great place.

Sounds like something my parents might enjoy. Thanks!

JeanneZ 05-30-2011 04:38 PM

If possible see Niagra Falls from teh Canadian side so beautiful. But you may all need your passports to go across the border.

SharBear 05-30-2011 04:51 PM

While in DC - given that it's summer and HOT there (lived there for a couple of years) - recommend the hop/on hop/off shuttle to get you between places. Saves wear and tear. The most amazing (and least discussed) memorial is the Korean War Memorial. As you face the Lincoln it is on your left. It looks like the soldiers are walking through rice paddys. Gives you chills - ESPICALLY at night. Make sure you take a night tour also - AMAZING. Arlington Cemetary is a must. The NEWSeum on Penn Avenue is brand new - has a section of the Berlin Wall and tells the history of news reporting of world events.

booklady 05-30-2011 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by JeanneZ
If possible see Niagra Falls from teh Canadian side so beautiful. But you may all need your passports to go across the border.

No problem on the passports, we'll have them with us!

booklady 05-30-2011 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by SharBear
While in DC - given that it's summer and HOT there (lived there for a couple of years) - recommend the hop/on hop/off shuttle to get you between places. Saves wear and tear. The most amazing (and least discussed) memorial is the Korean War Memorial. As you face the Lincoln it is on your left. It looks like the soldiers are walking through rice paddys. Gives you chills - ESPICALLY at night. Make sure you take a night tour also - AMAZING. Arlington Cemetary is a must. The NEWSeum on Penn Avenue is brand new - has a section of the Berlin Wall and tells the history of news reporting of world events.

thanks for the updates and ideas!