Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Headed to the Northeast (US) this June/July. What should I see? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/headed-northeast-us-june-july-what-should-i-see-t120139.html)

Maride 05-03-2011 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by carolaug
You are right...the walkway is so pretty also I have taken the lobster boat ride. The price was great and the scenery incredible...the shores are all cliffs and so pretty.

Originally Posted by selm
There's a great lobster place in Ogunquit, ME called the Lobster Pound and a wonderful seaside cliff walk called the Marginal Way. Plymouth harbor has the Mayflower II and Plimoth Plantation nearby is great too but it is built on a hill so the older folks may have a problem walking down to see the village and back up the hill to leave.
If you have time Cape Cod is nice to see also. To see things like the National Seashore Park and Provincetown however it is a lengthly ride. About 45 min from the Cape Cod Canal to the Seashore Park visitors center and another 1/2 hour to P-town.
Wherever you decide to visit, have a great trip and welcome to New England. :)

Oh, I meant to add - if you really want to see the Pops on 7/4 you need to get there veeerrry early. They don't let people go there as early as they used to do but people go and sit as early as possible until the show starts about 8 pm. (that's why I've never gone-years ago people camped out all night).

And there is a great quilt shop in Ogunquit, on route 1 before entering town. Worth the stop.

Va Quilter 05-03-2011 06:50 PM

http://www.facebook.com/TasteofMaineRestaurantandTavern
finally found a photo for you, via Facebook...
Hope this helps
Cindy Mitchell

kanakama 05-04-2011 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by Maride

Originally Posted by carolaug
You are right...the walkway is so pretty also I have taken the lobster boat ride. The price was great and the scenery incredible...the shores are all cliffs and so pretty.

Originally Posted by selm
There's a great lobster place in Ogunquit, ME called the Lobster Pound and a wonderful seaside cliff walk called the Marginal Way. Plymouth harbor has the Mayflower II and Plimoth Plantation nearby is great too but it is built on a hill so the older folks may have a problem walking down to see the village and back up the hill to leave.
If you have time Cape Cod is nice to see also. To see things like the National Seashore Park and Provincetown however it is a lengthly ride. About 45 min from the Cape Cod Canal to the Seashore Park visitors center and another 1/2 hour to P-town.
Wherever you decide to visit, have a great trip and welcome to New England. :)

Oh, I meant to add - if you really want to see the Pops on 7/4 you need to get there veeerrry early. They don't let people go there as early as they used to do but people go and sit as early as possible until the show starts about 8 pm. (that's why I've never gone-years ago people camped out all night).

And there is a great quilt shop in Ogunquit, on route 1 before entering town. Worth the stop.

The quilt shop is "Knights Quilt Shop" and it is a great shop.

Stacey 05-04-2011 04:45 AM

Booklady, Please share pictures of your trip. Be safe, have fun and make some wonderful memories.

spacepegs 05-04-2011 07:19 AM

In Maine you can find lobster everywhere, even the McDonalds serves lobster rolls! There are lots of restaurants that serve lobster all along the coast of New England and they are usually reasonabley priced. Also, you won't find better clam chowder anywhere else.

Central Ohio Quilter 05-04-2011 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by IrishNY
Between Niagara Falls and CT, go through the Finger Lakes region. There are many many wineries to visit, but it is also just a beautiful part of the country.

I agree with IrishNY. The Finger Lakes area, a couple hours east of Niagara Falls, is just beautiful. Besides the many wineries, there are several beautiful waterfalls to see and gorges to walk through. The best is Watkins Glen at the southern end of Seneca Lake, but there are also some at the southern end of Cayuga lake also. However, the gorges would probably be too strenuous for your parents. You can put the area on your list for another time though.

There is also a great deal of history in the area, including the village of Waterloo is the birthplace of Memorial Day. Right next to Waterloo, is Seneca Falls, home to the Women's rights' movement.

The lakes are beautiful. I used to live between Seneca and Cayuga Lakes. Let me know if you have any questions about the area!

booklady 05-04-2011 01:10 PM

Thanks to everyone for the ideas. I booked a hotel for Boston, about 8-10 miles out from downtown. The hotel shuttle will take us to the train station to go downtown. The lady at the hotel was VERY helpful and suggested a 5-6am start time to get in the main area!!!!! She works security at the Hatch Shell on the 4th (2nd job) and offered to call me back with more information!

Now on to the DC hotel. And the paperwork to visit the White House. Wish me luck!

donnaluigi 05-04-2011 03:49 PM

When in Boston go to the Kennedy Library

booklady 05-05-2011 04:37 PM

Booked the DC hotel. We're getting ready!

MartyT 05-06-2011 02:49 AM

Shellburnemuseum.org is supposed to have a wonderful quilt exhibit. It is in Bennington, VT. I thought the original Dear Jane was there, but couldn't find it on the website. Can anyone clarify this? (I was hoping to view it when I visit there later this year.)