Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   HELP!!! I have never had a TOY (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/help-i-have-never-had-toy-t136918.html)

JudieRQuilting 07-12-2011 09:39 AM

Oh dear! There is no reason to be afraid of your dachshund. They make absolutely wonderful pets and will bring you lots of laughter each day. Remember, you are bigger than she/he is and they usually want to please their owner. (Notice that I said "usually.") Anyway, we have had at least thirteen of them in our family and I wouldn't have any other kind. Have fun!

DebsShelties 07-12-2011 09:40 AM

awe, she is a pretty girl

JudieRQuilting 07-12-2011 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by deniseswanton2
the only thing i really know about those dogs is that they are super hard to house break and some never do get fully house broke, show her your in charge for sure

Actually, that varies with the dog. I've only had one that was hard to house break and that was because she had separation anxiety when I left her to go to work. Praise works wonders.

nancy59 07-12-2011 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by Suzi
LOLOLOLOL - your too funny! Most little dogs feel the need to establish themselves and they terrorize their owners (and they KNOW they are doing it). Keep a blanket handy (forget using a quilt) and when she gets to be too much to take, toss the blanket over her (covering her head) and hold her tightly, telling her what a good girl she is until she is too pooped to fight back. When she's done playing games give her a yummy treat and let her go. The reason for the blanket is to prevent YOU from being bitten. Way back I had a little 4# Yorkie that nobody wanted because she was a raging terror (I took her because she was such a little beauty) and it took 5 "blanket" teatments until she realized it was her nasty attitude that was getting her in trouble. Don't be afraid of her (easier said than done, huh?) because you have to impress on her that YOU are the Queen of the household. Good luck - she's only 1 year old so can be convinced that her behavior is NOT acceptable.

Will that work on a cat who thinks she is the boss. Honestly she terrorizes a husky, golden retriever, collie and a blue healer who could eat her for breakfast.

Suzi 07-12-2011 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by nancy59

Originally Posted by Suzi
LOLOLOLOL - your too funny! Most little dogs feel the need to establish themselves and they terrorize their owners (and they KNOW they are doing it). Keep a blanket handy (forget using a quilt) and when she gets to be too much to take, toss the blanket over her (covering her head) and hold her tightly, telling her what a good girl she is until she is too pooped to fight back. When she's done playing games give her a yummy treat and let her go. The reason for the blanket is to prevent YOU from being bitten. Way back I had a little 4# Yorkie that nobody wanted because she was a raging terror (I took her because she was such a little beauty) and it took 5 "blanket" teatments until she realized it was her nasty attitude that was getting her in trouble. Don't be afraid of her (easier said than done, huh?) because you have to impress on her that YOU are the Queen of the household. Good luck - she's only 1 year old so can be convinced that her behavior is NOT acceptable.

Will that work on a cat who thinks she is the boss. Honestly she terrorizes a husky, golden retriever, collie and a blue healer who could eat her for breakfast.

Nope - nothing works with cats - your dogs are just wuzies is all .......... ;o) Big dogs are just pats of butter melting at every kind word whereas little dogs have huge egos and need to let the world know they are HERE!!!

madamekelly 07-12-2011 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok

Originally Posted by frauhahn
Don't know much about dachshunds, but she is sure a cutey!

I am more of a DOG person..not a TOY person..hehehe

I really wanted to replace our Golden retriever with a yellow lab...sigh..I got hood ornament instead!

This is awful, but my father used to call them (small dogs) "all purpose kick me dogs'.

colleen1978 07-12-2011 01:11 PM

Don't let her know you're scared of her or you'll never be able to control her! Believe me I know.My Maltese turned into the king of our house and I swear he bosses us around! But he's so cute :)

fratcat 07-12-2011 03:56 PM

Lots of love, love, love and that little girl will be fine. she's establishing her territory and she will settle down. Good luck with her.

nonnaof5 07-12-2011 04:11 PM

So sorry u have a little "monster". I have two. they are 7 yrs old. also black/tan. One is a long hair and the other is a smooth coat. They are both males and neutered. They are my little shadows and lap warmers. But its my 2 1/2 lb. yorkie that rules. She is 5 1/2 yrs old and is a sassy little snot. But they are my "kids" now that my baby is in his 3rd yr of college. They give me lots of luv and keep me company when hubby is working (which is all the time). Good luck !

grandme26 07-12-2011 04:13 PM

I just bought my babt toy poodle. She is my second toy and I love the energy and playfulness of the toy poodles. She is 8 weeks old.