Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Hideous weather (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/hideous-weather-t84043.html)

Born2Sew 12-20-2010 04:19 PM

Sad for all of you who are having such severe winter weather. Here in Texas it is 6:20 pm and it is currently 75 degrees. Very strange weather all round.

pennyj123 12-20-2010 04:24 PM

Yep the weather has her moments, and she is raining down on men as we speak here in Victoria Australia. I am going to Perth Western Australia in 6 more days time and they are gonna have 35Celius and rain. I am still looking forward to it though. :)

husband-of-a-quilter 12-20-2010 04:44 PM

My daughter is in Amsterdam on her way Brussels then to Paris. I hope she has a wonderful time but I am sure with her luck it will be spent in train stations. Coming from Auckland, where it was quite warm, she is loving the snow.

quiltmom04 12-21-2010 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by ashlett
Hideous weather here in the U.K. at the moment, snow and ice making life difficult and expensive for those of us with ponies. I go out first thing and again at tea time to feed, the rest of the day is spent quilting.

"Tea time" sounds so wonderful to me! Do you really have tea everyday, or is it just a designation of the time of day? (I'm hoping to hear that you really do have tea!)

loopywren 12-21-2010 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by quiltmom04

Hideous weather here in the U.K. at the moment, snow and ice making life difficult and expensive for those of us with ponies. I go out first thing and again at tea time to feed, the rest of the day is spent quilting.

"Tea time" sounds so wonderful to me! Do you really have tea everyday, or is it just a designation of the time of day? (I'm hoping to hear that you really do have tea!)

I will re assure you that some of us really do have tea at tea time, but I think maybe we are the older ones and even then it is rare, what is really special is to go out for tea in a cafe, which is traditionally, thin sandwiches followed by fresh baked scones, strawberries and real cream, with of course a pot of leaf tea (not tea bags). The most exclusive luxury would be at The Dorchester in London. More likely it is a pot of teabag tea and a cake in the local cafe.. still pleasant to do with a friend though.

Abby'smom 12-21-2010 09:18 AM

so sorry -- it is warm here (over 80 today) but we need rain

quiltmom04 12-21-2010 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by loopywren

Originally Posted by quiltmom04

I will re assure you that some of us really do have tea at tea time, but I think maybe we are the older ones and even then it is rare, what is really special is to go out for tea in a cafe, which is traditionally, thin sandwiches followed by fresh baked scones, strawberries and real cream, with of course a pot of leaf tea (not tea bags). The most exclusive luxury would be at The Dorchester in London. More likely it is a pot of teabag tea and a cake in the local cafe.. still pleasant to do with a friend though.

A great tradition. Sounds like a great way to slow down in the day!

ajohn52 12-21-2010 11:54 AM

I love the thought of "tea time". Wish we had such a tradition here in the USA.

Shemjo 12-21-2010 12:21 PM

So sorry about the weather! Wish there was something that could be done, but all we ever to is talk about it! It is hardest on the elderly who can fall and as we get older, we do not bounce! Praying for relief for all who are suffering with it.

Irishlady 12-21-2010 12:50 PM

I remember a few weeks ago wishing for a white Christmas. Now that old adage springs to mind, be careful what you wish for!!