Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   How many have a garden? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/how-many-have-garden-t103856.html)

Eva Knight 02-28-2011 02:00 PM

we have a sizeable garden. we sell at our local veggie marker here in Newnan. This will be our 7th year. I also can and freeze a lot of things.

StitchinJoy 02-28-2011 02:07 PM

I know many quilters and most of them also garden. I think that the hobbies have some common elements: both quilting and gardening appeal to people who love color, and who are patient and determined.

I love gardening.

We have a small perennial garden in front, with something in bloom every month of the year. Right now, pink heath, white snowdrops and hellebore are blooming.

There's a veggie patch out back with blueberry bushes as a hedge. It's surrounded with perennials in happy disarray-- a cottage garden filled with iris, lilies, peonies, summersweet, coneflowers, asters. It changes every year as the plants get bigger and spread and self sow.

My husband planted 9 rose bushed for me and edged them with catmint. And I have a rather large shade garden that is finally looking lush after 12 years. It took a while to fill in. But quilters are patient.

Millstream Mom 02-28-2011 02:07 PM

We have a large vegetable garden. I wish I had a better eye for planning flower beds - mine are usually a disaster, so I stick to the veggies.

The snow is up to my waist out here, and I ordered my seed catalogs an hour ago to give me a reason to hold onto my sanity!

quiltin chris 02-28-2011 02:19 PM

We have a small terraced "garden" in our front yard.

My DH is the gardener and loves it.
He mixes veggie plants and flowers and it looks very nice from the road.

we tend to have more flowers than veggies though.
We both love flowers.
He got his first order of seeds to start his onion plants.
When we built our house he put a small greenhouse on the southend. That's where he keeps his plants in the winter.
Chris

irishrose 02-28-2011 02:30 PM

Lots of flowers - the family opinion is that some day I won't have grass to mow. That'd be fine with me. Only a few vegetables. Our growing season isn't very long and I've lost too many to get excited.

auntmag 02-28-2011 02:33 PM

I grow tomatoes, squash and cucumbers in my flower bed.

Jo M 02-28-2011 02:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I've always had a garden. My Mother taught us how to can everything and I still do. I can't wait to get back in the dirt this year. I have many flower beds throughout our property too.

CarrieAnne 02-28-2011 02:43 PM

I have a garden, plus lots of fruit bushes and trees. The trees are only 3years old, so havent had any fruit yet, but I cant wait!

CarrieAnne 02-28-2011 02:44 PM

I have a garden, plus lots of fruit bushes and trees. The trees are only 3years old, so havent had any fruit yet, but I cant wait!

mtkoldra 02-28-2011 02:45 PM

I used to can and freeze a lot, still have lots of canning jars, but now my garden is very small, can not grow too much, not enough to do anything like freezing but within 5 miles I have at least 5 good farm stands, 2 organic farms so I am ok. wish I had a much bigger garden, would love to have my own fruit trees

I am glad that so many quilters are gardeners as well.