Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   How much wood can a woodchuck (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/how-much-wood-can-woodchuck-t265314.html)

Yooper32 05-19-2015 06:51 AM

I had great trouble with a groundhog who took up residence under the wood shed. I tried every bait imaginable, anything recommended and he avoided every one of them and continued to come and pick my tomatoes before I could harvest a ripe one. However, I certainly captured several nasty Possums. All Possums are nasty outfits and vicious too. Also very stinky. I took each one far away from dwellings and released. To my way of thinking, Possums are our WV road-kill finalists. I sometimes wonder how so many are still running around alive.

maviskw 05-19-2015 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by mermaid (Post 7199120)
I remember that one! "How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?"

I learned it with "would" instead of "could": How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck would chuck wood.

mermaid 05-19-2015 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by maviskw (Post 7200374)
I learned it with "would" instead of "could": How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck would chuck wood.

Location, location, location--LOL

Halo 05-19-2015 02:58 PM

I got rid of ours by mixing Cayenne pepper the dirt & a little down the hole where they burrow in & out. Haven't had a problem since & that was years ago.

pahega 05-19-2015 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by Halo (Post 7200714)
I got rid of ours by mixing Cayenne pepper the dirt & a little down the hole where they burrow in & out. Haven't had a problem since & that was years ago.

Interesting!!!! I am going to try this. Thanks!

mjhaess 05-20-2015 06:08 AM

They can be hard to get rid of..I would try trapping them and then relocate them..

sassysews2 05-20-2015 06:19 AM

I live on a lake and we laugh about trapping groundhogs and taking them across the bridge to relocate. Those that live on the other side of the bridge trap theirs and bring them back to our area to relocate. We just trade groundhogs. lol

janjj 05-20-2015 07:43 PM

woodchucks can cause much damage. my neighbor trapped them . I also have a neighbor dog that 'takes care' of them !!! sounds like the cayenne pepper would be a good solution.

ladydukes 05-21-2015 08:04 PM

We have rock chucks. My husband shoots every one of them that he can. They can burrow under a foundation and make it fail. Last year we had trouble with woodpeckers. I tried running them off over and over but they kept coming back. It ended up costing us several thousand dollars in repair bills. Knock on wood, we have not had them this year, but if we do they'd better look out. I cannot see allowing any animal around that destroys something that we work so hard to pay for and maintain.

liking quilting 05-22-2015 05:51 PM

We've had a dog "take care" of one a couple of different times. Good dog. For skunks, I've heard that a radio played with loud base setting drives them away.