Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Hubbard Squash (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/hubbard-squash-t211589.html)

QuiltnNan 01-22-2013 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by postal packin' mama (Post 5804054)
" I prefer baking mine whole..."

question: if you bake it whole, isn't there a chance it could explode in the oven if there's no vent for steam to escape?
Like a potato can explode in the oven if there are no vent slits.

I suppose that is a possibility. I've never had it happen to me, thankfully. This particular squash, on the side touching the ground, there seemed to be a hole from something. Maybe that helped.

Chasing Hawk 01-22-2013 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by postal packin' mama (Post 5804054)
" I prefer baking mine whole..."

question: if you bake it whole, isn't there a chance it could explode in the oven if there's no vent for steam to escape?
Like a potato can explode in the oven if there are no vent slits.

Perhaps a cordless drill with a small bit would help. :)

Snooze2978 01-23-2013 06:22 AM

I had a bunch of butternut squash to prepare for the freezer. I used an electric knife to cut and peel it before I baked it and froze. Sure beats hurting the hands with a regular knife.

Suz in Iowa

maggiek 01-23-2013 08:25 AM

One year we grew them and they were enormous! Had to get a wheelbarrow out to get them from the garden to house. Then how to get into them? Axe was useless and we finally resorted to the drop it from the second story method :-) We had about 50 of them and donated most to the Mission for Thanksgiving dinner. Still had enough in the freezer for a year.

fayeberry 01-23-2013 06:11 PM

Don't know if this tip will work for Hubbard squash, but it works for acorn squash - microwave for one to two minutes, let cool briefly, then cut with large butcher knife. You may want to rotate the squash after one minute in the microwave. Works like a charm for acorn type.

JoyjoyMarie 01-25-2013 11:57 AM

UUUm! What a biggie squash - love squash, and you just reminded me I have a butternut in my cupboard waiting for the right moment - which I think will be this afternoon, since it's so cold I want an excuse to turn on my oven. Thanks!

sewnsewer2 01-25-2013 03:51 PM

Smart thinking!!

ube quilting 01-25-2013 06:36 PM

I love this squash. Very old variety you don't see it in stores but at farmers markets or grow yor own. Delishious!
We always called them Blue Hubbards but may be a different variety.
I like the idea of smashing them off the deck to break them for roasting!
peace

EDIT: For those who try to peel BN squash or any squash for that matter. Save some time and don't.

Just cut a small piece off the largrer end so it is flat. Stand it up and use a good heavy butcher knife to cut through the length of the squash.

Scoop out the seed ball. place the squash cut side down on oiled baking pan and bake at 350 or 400 degrees untill a fork goes through it. The meat of the squash will just scrape right out of the skin after it cools enough to handle and you don't even have to mash it.

Love squash and treat it right . Don't boil it!
peace