Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   I designed this (Socks) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/i-designed-socks-t205738.html)

wordpaintervs 11-12-2012 10:56 PM

Thanks Mama Bear 61. Tonight I am working on a beanie (watchman's cap?) for my son. Using a grey tone from Red Heart Super Saver yarn. My son has a slightly larger hat then the normal man, and this fits a 24 inch around head. I'm doubling the cuff so it can turn up...rest is stockinette till time to decrease. I made him one with this pattern before along with a simple scarf. He said it fit him fine and he got compliments on both, so I'm at another hat now.
Take care

Vickey Stamps

Grace MooreLinker 11-13-2012 08:28 AM

WOW looks good an cozzie

nygal 11-13-2012 08:38 AM

I am a Knitter and the sock is very sweet.

MimiBug123 11-13-2012 12:39 PM

Cute pattern! I've just discovered the self striping yarn and absolutely love it! It makes the socks look like you've used several colors of yarn, but it does it all by itself. LOVE IT!

cannyquilter 11-14-2012 01:32 PM

How did you knit the socks did you use circular needles of double point, I am making my first pair of socks on 4 dp needles and it is hard especially keeping the pattern tight where the needles join. Any tips? Love the socks

wordpaintervs 11-16-2012 11:13 AM

a lady from a knit shop .... told me, when knitting in the round, always bring the stitch that is on the beginning of the area being worked next (if you are right handed) and on the left hand needle, as close as possible to the point of that needle. Work that stitch then one or two next to it before changing that 'nearness'. I love DPN's and the same advise applies to them. I, however, used the magic loop on mine. Next time, I will do a knit 3, purl 1 for the cuff as it is tighter (less stretch). The sock is comfortable, but for my own foot, I'd like it more snug. wish I had a picture to shw what I mean. Hope advise wasn't clear as mud

When I use 3 or 4 double pointed needles, I always cable cast on...with ALL stitches on one needle, then knit off with whatever cast on stitch for cuff I want to use. It almost gives a slightly
decorative look to the cast on) That seems to make the 'arranging of the needles' tighter and hold the needles together better.

Love to get a PM from you and know if this advise was usable or should be clarified.

Hugs and good luck.

Vickey Stamps

cannyquilter 11-16-2012 03:34 PM

I too am really struggling with socks. Am using 4 dp needles and even though I am keeping the yarn as tight as I can at the joins there is still a "ladder" I have already pulled out 4 times so this time I am continuing and will ladder stitch together at the end.

Originally Posted by wordpaintervs (Post 5661160)
a lady from a knit shop .... told me, when knitting in the round, always bring the stitch that is on the beginning of the area being worked next (if you are right handed) and on the left hand needle, as close as possible to the point of that needle. Work that stitch then one or two next to it before changing that 'nearness'. I love DPN's and the same advise applies to them. I, however, used the magic loop on mine. Next time, I will do a knit 3, purl 1 for the cuff as it is tighter (less stretch). The sock is comfortable, but for my own foot, I'd like it more snug. wish I had a picture to shw what I mean. Hope advise wasn't clear as mud

When I use 3 or 4 double pointed needles, I always cable cast on...with ALL stitches on one needle, then knit off with whatever cast on stitch for cuff I want to use. It almost gives a slightly
decorative look to the cast on) That seems to make the 'arranging of the needles' tighter and hold the needles together better.

Love to get a PM from you and know if this advise was usable or should be clarified.

Hugs and good luck.

Vickey Stamps

Mariposa 11-16-2012 03:37 PM

Nicely done! Would also be great done as a stocking for Christmas! :)

quiltsRfun 11-16-2012 03:47 PM

I've knitted but never made socks. Looks great.

Suzanne57 11-17-2012 04:16 PM

When I knit socks I use the two circular needle way. I can do both socks at the same time, that way they match and I don't have problems with 'laddering'. I use a lot of the variegated yarn.