Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Just had a lightening strike our house!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/just-had-lightening-strike-our-house-t113875.html)

cjomomma 04-06-2011 03:56 AM

Wow that's scary. I would expect something like that out here but not Ca.I guess the weather everywhere is crazy. Glad you all are safe.

sewcrafty 04-06-2011 04:10 AM

OMG Glad you're OK! We had lightening hit a tree one year and come into the house. Fried the well pump and turned the toaster on.

Scary!

julia58 04-06-2011 04:11 AM

Oh my. What a scary thing to go through. Lighting is very dangerous. I'm glad nothing worse happened. You are all very lucky. And I hope everything gets back to normal very soon. Take care.

pocoellie 04-06-2011 04:35 AM

Wow!!! What a scare!! So glad that only "minor" things were damaged and not something like a house fire.

lovingheart 04-06-2011 05:14 AM

Very scary!

Jim's Gem 04-06-2011 09:00 AM

How scarry!!! I am glad that everyone is ok and that no one got hurt!!!!
Hopefully you will get everything fixed and up and running soon!

amma 04-06-2011 09:25 AM

(((HUGS))) I am so happy to hear that you and DH are ok (((HUGS)))

luvTooQuilt 04-06-2011 10:11 AM

Glad your all ok !!!

We get power surges galore during lighting storms- and it sucks!!!! To date we lost our oven, microwave oven, foodsaver sucky bag thingy, treadmill, water heater, water softener, two tv's , two room monitors, three clock radios, two modems, toaster oven and That's all in two years time!! We now have expensive computer surge protectors on all the big stuff. It worked for our big screen tv's and computers so we are using them for everything else..

Vanuatu Jill 04-07-2011 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by thequiltmama
Wow, very scary. We were at the breakfast table one morning and it was still dark outside. We happen to look out the front window and watch a lightening bolt come down and split our tree right down the middle. I still don't understand how it didn't catch on fire. I am sure the rain helped with that. The tree is split from top to ground BUT we left it alone and it survived. Everyone kept telling us to cut it down but we wanted to give it a chance to heal. And it did. That was 2 years ago and it has fully recovered other than the split down it. Crazy huh?

Just thought I would share my scary story. Because I had to take the kids out for the bus 20 minutes after that :) I was very scared to go outside.

Super glad you are all ok and hopefully your homeowners insurance will reimburse you for all of the damage. :)

The lightening went straight down the trunk of the palm tree and fanned out thru the grass to the sidewalk, where it hit a metal stud or bolt which was close to the phone wires, taking out the phone system and frying the fax and phones. It also broke the water pipe and fried the electrics! What a mess-we still don't have phones, and the electricians have been there everyday-all day-since, trying to sort everything out. At least the water pipe got fixed! We would have had everything un-plugged, but this was a single out-of-the-blue strike-and we didn't have any rain to put out the fire in the tree-but it was a really green coconut palm, so it burned itself out. The tree, however, is dying, all the palm leaves are dropping off, and since it is burnt all the way down the trunk, I doubt that it will survive.

Vanuatu Jill 04-07-2011 03:50 PM

Thanks for all your good wishes!! I never want to go thru that again! I have been thru so many lightening and thunder stormes living here all these years, but nothing ever like that!!