Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Keeping a fitted sheet from slipping (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/keeping-fitted-sheet-slipping-t246396.html)

Noiseynana 05-08-2014 03:22 AM

Originally Posted by irishrose (Post 6708183)
I folded a square of fabric diagonally and sewed it to each side of the corner when I had some difficult sheets. Kind of like a bigger than average gusset. Are the sheets a woven cotton? It sounds like they are stretchy.

I have also done this . My MIL told me how . She , of course , made her own sheets. Very talented.

misspriss 05-08-2014 03:49 AM

My mattress is 18" also, and I have looked into getting an 8 inch mattress. I don't think they even make the ones you can flip anymore. Even the big pocket sheet wrinkles. I didn't find
the "pea" tho.

quiltmom04 05-08-2014 06:35 AM

I use those things that look like the old garter belt (I'm old, I know!) hooks and they work great . They even stay on through washing, and I just pull them back around the corners.

caspharm 05-08-2014 02:05 PM

I actually use the elastics on the top corners and also use elastics on the bottom corners of the top sheet. It works well, especially since we have one of those mite covers on our bed.

Nammie to 7 05-08-2014 02:08 PM

I had that same issue with my pillow top mattress. I ended up taking off the mattress pad and haven't had a problem since.

slbram17 05-08-2014 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 6707120)
I have regular queen size mattress but I buy the sheets with an extra long gusset for pillow top mattresses. More expensive but they stay on better. I have used the elastic corner clip for other sheets and they work fine. I don't mind putting them on because I HATE a sheet that the corner comes up on. I have also sewn elastic across the corners (same position as the clips) on my sons flannel sheets he takes to hunting camp and he said they work great.

I have those corner clips too to keep the sheet from slipping. They work.

Marysewfun 05-08-2014 05:52 PM

We've had the same problem - I was thinking of trying to sew elastic on - - hadn't seen those "garter-type" things in so long, I thought maybe they stopped making them. Will look harder. Thank you for this conversation.

Marysewfun

madamekelly 05-08-2014 06:00 PM

I got the 10 inch memory foam mattress and discovered all my favorite sheets did the same thing. I had a choice, find a solution or buy even more sheets, which wasn't an option, so I carefully and accurately drew a line all the way around the sheet about 6 inches from the edges, cut on the line, and put in a 8" wide piece of blending fabric and sewed the edges back on. Works great and much cheaper than buying new Egyptian cotton sheets, and who cares what is holding it on as long as what touches me is soft.

ctrysass2012 05-08-2014 07:34 PM

I have sewn on elastic also. Then I found a set of the "garters" at Bed, Bath & Beyond & they worked great.

Auntie V 05-09-2014 05:00 AM

I have found that the sheets that have the extra room for pillow top mattresses can be just as much of an issue as the too tight ones. I ended up making a dart in the corners to take up some of the corner fabric. One set of sheets I even added extra straps of elastic to pass under the mattress and snap onto the other side to keep the wrinkles out. (This set of sheets now only goes on the guest room bed.