Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Leftover Fleece (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/leftover-fleece-t301996.html)

Snooze2978 01-04-2019 06:39 AM

A friend wanted to make herself a cape with some fleece I had. We cut it out and that's as far as she got. I refused to make it for her cause that wasn't teaching her how to sew. So I gave the pieces to my sister and she made pieces to go between her pots and pans to keep them from getting scratched. Leftovers will be put out in the kitties beds out in the garage. These are neighborhood cats that are left on their own by their owners. My sister keeps food and water, litter boxes and beds for them in the garage. She even got them a heated water bowl for winter as it does get mighty cold here in Iowa.

Kassaundra 01-04-2019 09:05 AM

5 Attachment(s)
This girl wanted to be a momma, so I made her a "maternity dress" this is strips of wool and fleece sewn to the sides of her outfit so she could keep the eggs warm. She decided not to be a mom after all shortly after I made the outfit.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]606185[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]606186[/ATTACH]

This is what they look like w/o clothes

[ATTACH=CONFIG]606187[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]606188[/ATTACH]

Here is a pic of a "blue mom"

[ATTACH=CONFIG]606190[/ATTACH]

lawsonmugs 01-04-2019 10:10 AM

Why are they naked? I raise chickens and have never seen naked ones. Love the red and white outfit.

MamaLinda 01-04-2019 10:28 AM

More interesting lives on the quilting board -- love it.

Kassaundra 01-04-2019 11:16 AM

I have the scaleless gene in my flock, it is recessive and when a bird gets a double hit of it they are scaleless (no leg scales or spurs, no feather follicles, and less over all body fat) It is a naturally occuring gene, just very rare.

Originally Posted by lawsonmugs (Post 8186745)
Why are they naked? I raise chickens and have never seen naked ones. Love the red and white outfit.

gramajo 01-04-2019 01:55 PM

My DD has a bunch of cats, some live in the house; others are outside cats and go in the garage at night. She makest beds for them. She takes any fleece scraps, runs the rotary cutter over them to make small pieces and uses them to stuff the beds.

QuiltE 01-04-2019 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by illinois (Post 8186605)
I haven't actually constructed it yet so tell me what you think. I have cut squares and then used the rotary cutter that perforates about every 1/4". Am doing a crocheted blanket stitch around each one and then intend to put them together like the traditional crocheted granny square afghan. Do you think this will work?

I'd be interested in how QuiltE sewed hers together for a cover. Did you zigzag or make a seam and how was that finished? This other idea is taking a lot of time--certainly a work in progresssssssss.

Good idea to crochet them together. I would think that would work up pretty slick!

No, I have not made a cover with them ... what I did say was that I have used fleece as batting.

However, why couldn't you do it either ways you mentioned?
A seam would give some "ribbing" kind of like the rag quilts that people make.
One side ribbed, the other side seamed.
You could then fringe the outside edges if you wanted.

Zig-Zagged? I think I would make sure there was a good overlap, and not just have them meet and join. The trick there would be to keep the overlap even as you went along, but it could be very effective too.

Good Luck!

cathyvv 01-04-2019 05:03 PM

The chickens look like miniature dinosaurs!

lawsonmugs 01-04-2019 05:39 PM

thank you Kassaundra

coopah 01-05-2019 06:10 AM

Learned a lot from your post, Kassaundra. I had no clue chickens could be 'naked.' How clever of you to figure out a way to use leftover fabrics and help those 'naked' chicks. Smart!