Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Micro Chipping pets (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/micro-chipping-pets-t59219.html)

lalaland 08-13-2010 11:39 AM

All my animals have the AVID chip, I don't remember having to do any extra registration for them.

My son lives in TX, I live in CA, and while visiting him last year we took a lost dog into the local animal shelter. I refused to leave until I knew if he was chipped or not (if not, I think my son would have had himself a new pet). He was, whew! The gal at the shelter said if they're chipped, they can read it regardless of the manufacturer (I'm assuming AVID isn't the only chip on the market).

allie1448 08-13-2010 11:57 AM

My boys were chipped as babies and it was a good thing as I then emigrated to Canada and it was a requirement of them travelling! I would always have them chipped just to give me another way of finding them if I they were ever lost. It also gives me a discount on their Pet Insurance!

CarrieAnne 08-13-2010 12:46 PM

My bulldog is chipped. She was an expensive present from my Boyfreind, so he had it done for me. Thank goodness we have never used it either!

martha jo 08-13-2010 01:47 PM

My pups are chipped. Registered with the vet and he can keep up with our number if it should change. The way they do it. Of course, there is some insurance you can also buy that I haven't. Has anyone? Is it worth it? I think it only pays if they are hurt if they run away or something.

pookie ookie 08-13-2010 02:01 PM

Everyone here is chipped except for my girl who a skin problem. Worries me because she can't wear a collar either. She has a tag on her harness but only wears that on walks.

Shelter pets here come with a chip but you have to send in the form and pay the $18. Also keep the info handy in case you need to contact the company upon moving.

anniec55 08-13-2010 02:40 PM

When I adopted both my cats from the Humane Society, they micro-chip and register them before you leave with them!! The younger was a kitten when we brought her home she was so little that you could not only feel the chip but see a bump under her fur. Not now, she has filled out and you would never know it. It is amazing the technology involved and how easily they are placed!!! I too have not had to use and am glad that they are protected!!!

lab fairy 08-13-2010 03:34 PM

We used to chip emu's back when exotics went for big money and were stolen a lot. It is a really easy process. Most people think nothing of lojacking their laptops and have gps locators in phones and cars. Why not chip a pet? One of these days, we're going to be able to just ping for those sneaky little beggers that get out of the yard. :thumbup: It will make it so much easier to get them back home. I can see it now...the new Apple IPhone "we've got an app for that" advertisement.

yorkiemom 08-13-2010 05:35 PM

My yorkies are all chipped. It's a shame these days you can't trust anyone.

QBeth 08-13-2010 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by trupeach1
our little puppy was chipped when we got her 3 months ago, this was a great reminder i forgot to send in the paper work. i guess i better do it asap.

I'm glad then that I posted this. One never knows what might be useful info. :-)

QBeth 08-13-2010 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by lab fairy
One of these days, we're going to be able to just ping for those sneaky little beggers that get out of the yard. :thumbup: It will make it so much easier to get them back home. I can see it now...the new Apple IPhone "we've got an app for that" advertisement.

I guess they have something like that where you use a hand held device to home into the transmitter around their neck. Unfortunately, last time I checked, it only worked if you were practically on top of them.

What I really need is a big butterfly net! :)