Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Miffed at the UPS Guy (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/miffed-ups-guy-t34594.html)

Piedmont Quilter 01-20-2010 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by butterflywing
it's because ups fills each driver's truck in the a.m. and the guy goes. his day doesn't end until his truck is empty. that's why you sometimes get a delivery at 8:30 p.m. and that's why they leave a package on the porch and keep going. they want to see their families again sometime.

if the driver is pooped, he's pooped. if he can't say he delivered everything, he can't come back to the garage. they are asking the impossible of their drivers. don't blame the driver. blame their system.

also, they pay so low that often the jobs are filled by college kids, and if they don't empty those trucks, they don't make their classes. ups tells them it's 4 hours of work, but if they deliver everything and wait to get signatures, it takes forever. i don't think they hire full-time anymore to save on benefits. at least here, where there are colleges. for the drivers, it's almost a lose-lose situation.
but it's a job.

Don't know what the pay scale is for the drivers in your state, but if it's that bad maybe they should come to NC. Here the drivers make GOOD $$$$. Also the college kids are not the drivers, they are the ones that wash the trucks in the garage area ~ and they make well above min wage too!!

sandpat 01-20-2010 06:42 AM

Sorry that happened to you. We don't have any drop boxes or UPS stores anywhere close to us. I had to send my camera in for repair and they sent me a UPS pickup for it. I called UPS to have them come pick it up and told them that when they delivered something for me would be ok (I get lots of deliveries)..they told me they would charge me $10.00 bucks for it. NOT for the shipping, but for the pickup! :evil: :evil: :evil: Great way to loose customers IMHO

nativetexan 01-20-2010 07:19 AM

yes but leaving a package on the porch and running off before you can even see what it is, or even know it's there is irritating. i know they rush these guys but it's still frustrating.
i got two boxes, one larger than the other and it turned out the company we placed an order with had sent another order, a double one! i wrote refused on the box and took it to work.
my UPS guy said it would just be delivered back to me. sigh.
i took it to a UPS store and they gave me a receipt. - yes, it was delivered right back to me!!!! why? should i have written return to sender? jeesh. the company said no charge was placed on my credit card for the second order and they had better be right!!!
and charging for pick-ups. we send stuff out all the time through UPS and Fedex. from the office that is.
some States may be different.

littlehud 01-20-2010 07:41 AM

That is really a shame. I'm glad you let someone know about it. Our UPS driver is wonderful.

butterflywing 01-20-2010 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by Piedmont Quilter
Don't know what the pay scale is for the drivers in your state, but if it's that bad maybe they should come to NC. Here the drivers make GOOD $$$$. Also the college kids are not the drivers, they are the ones that wash the trucks in the garage area ~ and they make well above min wage too!!

here they hire kids to drive. i used to have a great ups-er that waited for me to sign and he often came at 8 - 9 pm. he told me that his day ended when the truck was empty. when he retired i got a, i think he's 12 years old. he leaves it, rings the bell and before i get there he's dust. i always wonder what would happen if i ever said i didn't get it, but in this economy, i don't want to cost him his job.

Barbm 01-20-2010 01:31 PM

I'm still simmering from last week. I sent a box of our clothes to my DD's to avoid carrying them on the plane (and paying $$). I took the box to the UPS Store- I KNOW it is not owned by UPS. The nerdy little man (who I have had to deal with for the last 3 years) says freight- I say ground. OK- I expect it there in 1 week or less- as in EVERY single time I have sent items to DD. (I have an account through UPS with a substantial discount that's why I was sending it- to SAVE $$)

Get to my vaca- no clothes! Check tracking- they don't know where they are- lost track for 2 days- shows nerdy little man did not put on truck for 2 days. grrrr. anyway- when they arrived on Mon- I am due to leave on Tues. I slap a return label on them and we'll see how long it takes to get them back.

Up side- bought some clothes for me and hubby- he really needed new jeans. But wait until I have to talk to nerdy little man- I am choosing my words nicely. Kill them with kindness. Actually I want to say- I do my job in a more than timely manner to keep my customers- maybe you should too!

(He is the reason I tell people there's someone out there for everyone- if he can find a wife, anyone can find someone.)

Nerdy little man- grrrrr.

butterflywing 01-20-2010 01:47 PM

if they don't deliver in a timely manner, do you have recourse?

martha jo 01-20-2010 05:27 PM

I live behind ranchgate and UPS has thrown packages over the gate. They do not have cellphones in truck to let me know they are coming. Fedex drivers do. They call me and tell me they are on the way and I go meet them at the gate. They are also cheaper with ground delivery. Guess who I use?

DazzleMe! 01-20-2010 05:37 PM

I am sorry that happened to you BarbM. That is uncalled for by the guy in your UPS Store. Since he is a Franchise there are recourses to deal with him as well.

Most of us who own UPS Stores work hard to make sure our customers are happy and keep coming back.

mcdaniel023 01-20-2010 06:00 PM

I have a friendly always on time ups driver. There was one day we did have a slight disagreement. One day he handed me my package and told me he hoped I didn't mind him signing my name. Yes I did. Wonder what he was he going to do with that signiture required package?