Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   My hubby won a prize (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/my-hubby-won-prize-t35142.html)

Katrine 01-26-2010 06:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)
lastly
And I forgot to say he was also given a beautiful limited edition Larousse gardening book, and cash vouchers for 2 nurseries to buy things for the garden.

wvdek 01-26-2010 06:09 AM

Katrine,

Your DH is a Master Gardener for sure.
His fuschia's, begonias, petunias, sweet william (I think), and all the others are absolutely breathtaking.
Glad to see you use rainbarrels. We intend to make some this year. We figure we need about 5 around the house. Heaven knows we get enough rain!

Marcia 01-26-2010 06:11 AM

Wow-I am so impressed that I am speechless!!! How absolutely gorgeous. Making me long for Spring and Summer.

Katrine 01-26-2010 06:15 AM

Yes but the rain barrels are not enough for about 200 or so containers. And rainfall doesnt fall into hanging or wall baskets as you know. We've been here 19 years and this year is the first time we were on water rationing from August. We could only water after 8pm up to 8am. The Limousin is a very green forested area with lots of lakes so it was unusual.

Quilt Mom 01-26-2010 06:16 AM

Wow, Katrine! Does your husband do this all, or do you help? If he does this alone, you must have a lot of time for quilting! Such beauty! It is wonderful inspiration for quilts.

I am green with envy :mrgreen: my gardening skills are minimal.

Thanks for sharing the pictures.

Esqmommy 01-26-2010 06:17 AM

Oh my, he is incredibly talented. he must look funny walking around with a green thumb!! LOL, just kidding! Seriously, your photos are something out of a magazine on the french country or something. Really amazing...and it's all in pots. Does he have a watering system? I would think so...too much to walk around and water all the time!

Jingle 01-26-2010 06:20 AM

Absolutely beautiful,gorgeous !!! I can imagine all the hours of work he puts into taking care of all these plants. He does absolutely magnifcent work and deserves lots of awards. You are lucky to be able to admire this gorgeous scenery. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Katrine 01-26-2010 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by Quilt Mom
Wow, Katrine! Does your husband do this all, or do you help? If he does this alone, you must have a lot of time for quilting! Such beauty! It is wonderful inspiration for quilts.

I am green with envy :mrgreen: my gardening skills are minimal.

Thanks for sharing the pictures.

I do help in that I sow, then weeks afterwards, thin out the seedlings, plant up the containers. But Peter does all the daily watering and weekly feeding as there is so much. We go our separate ways after midday - he to the garden, me to the sewing room!
When we first came to France we had a very small business cultivating and selling the exotic big bloomed fuchsias and it did very well - we even had coaches arriving. Not our background I might add - we are both ex car industry.
And once a TV station came and filmed us. But after about 8 years we had had enough, now its just for our pleasure.

Katrine 01-26-2010 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by Esqmommy
Oh my, he is incredibly talented. he must look funny walking around with a green thumb!! LOL, just kidding! Seriously, your photos are something out of a magazine on the french country or something. Really amazing...and it's all in pots. Does he have a watering system? I would think so...too much to walk around and water all the time!

No, no watering system - all the containers are watered every day by Peter - and when it goes to about 32C some are watered morning and evening. I suppose he spends 3 or 4 hours seeing to it all every day. Sometimes I do duty by filling the cans one after the other for him!

Elisabrat 01-26-2010 06:30 AM

What an absolute pleasure your flower garden must be for you and for anyone fortunate enough to partake in the beauty. I can not imagine anything that garden center would have that you DONT already have. Stunning. Its like a picture book garden or a magazine cover. Surely his garden should be gracing the front page so EVERYONE can drool.