Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Need 'medical' advice (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/need-medical-advice-t135045.html)

Just Me... 07-05-2011 05:35 AM

I would definitely talk to a medical professional.....

bloocar 07-05-2011 01:24 PM

I use to have horrible sinus infections. They use to affect my inner ear and would have bouts of terrible vertigo, cold sweats, headaches and vomiting phlem. These would last for hours and I was completely debilitated. It took a long time and 3 ENTs before it was figured out. It turned out to be a sensitivity to dairy. I had to check all ingredients on every package to see if it had any form of dairy and stay away from it. Going dairy free did the trick. Good luck to you finding the cause of your problem.

Momsmurf 07-05-2011 08:15 PM

If your ENT is just "throwing antibiotics at it", I personally would let you primary care physician know about it and maybe see if you can get a referral for a second opinion by another ENT, or even an allergist.

I would definitely get a definite diagnosis as to just what the problem is before trying to self treat.

The key is being pleasantly persistent in your address with you physicians. Also, be aware that no "cure" is instant in every case. I personally would shy away from trying one antibiotic after another unless the organism had been cultured out to be sensative to the antibiotic. Blindly treating with antibiotics builds up resistance in our body over time and when we really need it, it's ineffective.

That said, I do hope you find a solution to your symptoms soon.

Pinklady 07-07-2011 08:38 AM

Linda , I had the deviated septum surgery about 3 years ago. I have not had much sinus trouble since. It is such a small amount that I only take over the counter medicine now.

Suzy 07-07-2011 03:36 PM

I use Florajen Acidophilus Extra High Potency. It was recommended by a dietician who suggested it because I have allergys and it helps with irritable bowel for me. they claim you can take it without side affects? I get it at walgreens in the refrigerated section. Seems to help me.

good Luck

Suzy

sailsablazin 07-07-2011 10:19 PM

My girlfriend had a series of sinus infections that no antibiotic would touch. Her ENT doc suggested surgery to which she responded,"No way." So, instead, he suggested that she rinse with a saline solution. It took a long time but she finally drained her sinuses. The doc confessed that he rinsed with a saline solution every day in winter so that he did not get contaminated with his patients' infections. She continues to rinse (sort of snort up) the saline solutions during our winter months....and has never had another problem.

misseva 07-08-2011 11:28 AM

Haven't read all the posts but I have chronic sinus problems and find that NeilMed Sinus Rinse really helps. My ENT suggested it. You can get it at Wal Mart for around $10.00. You can get the kit with either a squeeze bottle or Neti Pot. I prefer the bottle. The kit comes with 50 individual packets of saline rinse. When my sinuses are acting up I rinse my nose morning and night.

sailsablazin 07-08-2011 11:42 AM

That's the stuff that my girlfriend uses!!

mhansen6 07-08-2011 12:39 PM

Have you tried sinus rinses? I know that this really helps with allergies.

auntiehenno 07-12-2011 04:27 AM

My Dr., who does colonoscopys, can't remember the name right now, told me to get ALIGN. I is at Walgreens and expensive. Going to get it this weekend. Sinus is caused from something to do with the stomach. Dr, didn;t tell me this. Did some research and found out, I have had terrible sinus infections since I moved to Denver area. Good luck.