Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Netherlands Orange Festival (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/netherlands-orange-festival-t73376.html)

loopywren 10-31-2010 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by pinot
I am from the Netherlands and this festival is not from the Netherlands. Maybe the south of France or Spain?
We don't have mountains or hills that high and there are no palmtrees growing there. The climat is too low to grow oranges and palmtrees.

I am sorry but you are wrong.. I have just googled 'orange festival' it takes place around April 30 in Amsterdam, apparently the birthday of the queen, who is from the royal 'orange family' there is lots of info on the web.

pinot 10-31-2010 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by loopywren

I am from the Netherlands and this festival is not from the Netherlands. Maybe the south of France or Spain?
We don't have mountains or hills that high and there are no palmtrees growing there. The climat is too low to grow oranges and palmtrees.

I am sorry but you are wrong.. I have just googled 'orange festival' it takes place around April 30 in Amsterdam, apparently the birthday of the queen, who is from the royal 'orange family' there is lots of info on the web.

That's true. Our queen's birthday is celebrated on the 30th of april (her real birthday is in january). But we have the same climat as in England. Are there growing oranges and palmtrees in England? We have festivities all over the country but nothing like a parade with just oranges.

loopywren 10-31-2010 02:31 PM

That's true. Our queen's birthday is celebrated on the 30th of april (her real birthday is in january). But we have the same climat as in England. Are there growing oranges and palmtrees in England? We have festivities all over the country but nothing like a parade with just oranges.

I must apologise to you.. you are correct, I quoted direct from the site on the web and should have checked further, when I looked at the pictures again I realised they could not be Amsterdam, I have been there. It is the Festival Citrusov and is in the South of France, I should know not to believe all I see on the web. We can grow oranges/lemons outside in the very South of England but not commercially as far as I know, in other areas they are grown in greenhouses. we do grow palm trees outside over a lot of the South of England, we have them here in Kent. Once again I would like to apologise for believing the impossible.

loopywren 10-31-2010 02:34 PM

These original pictures were posted around 2008 on the web, but thank you for showing them to us Butterfly wing as they are truly beautiful.

Quiltforme 10-31-2010 07:27 PM

Oh thank you so much for showing this!!! Very cool!

wanderingcreek 10-31-2010 09:52 PM

OMG those are amazing!

plainjane 10-31-2010 10:19 PM

Thanks for the grand tour!

pinot 11-01-2010 12:18 AM

Goodmorning loopywren, it is funny how two europian ladies are talking about something a lady from the USA showed.
I didn't know there are palmtrees growing in the south of England. I've seen them in Ireland though.
I have one in my garden and I have a citrus in a big pot but don't dare to let it outside in winter. There are hanging 4 big mellons on the tree. Do you know a way to keep them outside? or do I need a greenhouse? I live in Burgundy France near the Swiss border.
Have a great day, Pinot

Nanjun 11-01-2010 03:36 AM

Just beautiful.

GladGrams 11-01-2010 03:59 AM

So funny, it turned out to be French.