Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   New Machine? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/new-machine-t195716.html)

kensington 07-25-2012 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by nygal (Post 5393945)
I have gotten all three of my machines from here. They have video to watch and manual for you to download etc. They have free shipping and I got my machines within 4 days. One is a sewing machine, one is an embroidery machine and my newest one is a quilting machine.

Found this for you!

http://www.allbrands.com/products/32...ine-299-dollar

You'll love doing embroidery! Good luck in your search.

Hey, thank you so much! I'm going to browse that site!

liminanc 07-26-2012 02:55 AM

I just got the Brother PE 500 from Amazon for 299. an embroidery only machine and my sister just got the Brother CS6000I for 160. from Amazon, this is a very cool machine for the price. She just wanted it for basic stuff like you do. I got the embroidery only machine so I could let it do its thing while I sewed on my regular machine. Good luck.

gemmyfrog 07-26-2012 05:04 AM

I got a Viking Emerald 126 (basic model) for about $300, for a little more you should be able to get a higher model that maybe has some embrodery features. I love the Viking because all I have to do is turn it on, it's ready to go! I've had it a little over a year now and no problems with it!

Caswews 07-26-2012 05:11 AM

I like Brother machines and they are inexpensive compared to some of the machines. I have had Singer (which I used to swear by-but their machines aren't like the older ones, unfortunately), Kenmore, Riccar and now I have Brother machines which I have had for 15-20 years and swear by them. I am even looking at Babylock for a machine (which is the younger sibling to Brother).

alleyoop1 07-26-2012 05:37 AM

Have you thought of buying a "gently used" better quality machine, like a Bernina, Pfaff, Husqvarna, Brother or Janome. If you have any dealers in your area go look and try their machines. I would steer away from any machines sold in a store where you can't try it before you buy it.

carolyne2421 07-26-2012 06:04 AM

if you want a new machine

Originally Posted by kensington (Post 5393436)
We looked at new machines yesterday. Not wanting to break the bank or live on mac and cheese, we want something that does what I do, and is still affordable. LOL

I want to do some embroidery, some appligue and then my piecing. Singer has a machine that is 1,000.00 on sale at JoAnn's for $499.

It has a large base spand for fabric, and for the embroidery frame. I've also looked at a Genome basic machine, not yet looked at their embrodery/appligue machines yet.

What kind of machine do you have or reccommend?

if you want a reasonably good machine go to amazon.com and look at there singer futura embroidery machine,,you have to have a computer to hook up to it,,i bought it,it was only 589.00 and you can embroider and sew,,,,it is a good machine for the money and a large throat area

ashlett 07-26-2012 07:13 AM

I have Janome, would never buy any other make.

Latrinka 07-26-2012 07:29 AM

I'll admit I'm dumb, but what is KWIM? Inquiring minds wanna know!

Prism99 07-26-2012 07:54 AM

Latrinka, KWIM is "Know What I Mean?" (I think!)

kensington, I think the suggestion to get two machines is a really good one -- especially with your price range. I have heard really good things about standalone embroidery machines (check out all the Brother embroidery machines at the $300 or so price point), and it's nice to have one machine for embroidery and one for other sewing tasks. It takes awhile for an embroidery machine to sew out a pattern so, while you are waiting, you can be piecing on the other machine. These are great beginner machines for embroidery.

Edit: I think the Brother embroidery machines use PES files. For another $100 you can purchase the PED software so you can download designs from the net.

auntmag 07-26-2012 08:20 AM

The latest issue of Quiltmaker has a wonderful chart comparing sewing machines their features and price.