Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   New to me streaming shows/series I like (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/new-me-streaming-shows-series-i-like-t294537.html)

Onebyone 02-04-2018 11:44 AM

New to me streaming shows/series I like

I have watched most of the long running series and recently found these I really liked.

1. Line of Duty --excellence not your average police show.
2. Shetland --wonderful mysteries, a little edgier then Midsommer Mysteries.
3. Zumbo's Just Desserts. Wow if you like baking shows this is terrific.
4. Girlfriends. Wonderful drama
5. Pie in the Sky. Great heartwarming series
6. Hamish McBeth. Beautiful scenery and lighthearted drama
7. Loves, Lies, and Records. I got addicted right away with this one.

I love binge watching series. If anyone has recommendations for me I'd love to know what you like too.

Garden Gnome 02-04-2018 11:52 AM

No suggestions; I can't stream anything where I live. :( Grumble grumble. But I'm happy for you!

OhCanada 02-04-2018 12:13 PM

The CBC has great content. They have an app, or you can just go to their website to stream (cbc dot ca)
- When Calls the Heart
- X Company
- The Great British Baking Show
- Murdoch Mysteries
- Anne
- Alias Grace
- Heartland
are just a few, and lots of great documentaries

charley26 02-04-2018 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone (Post 7996843)
I have watched most of the long running series and recently found these I really liked.

1. Line of Duty --excellence not your average police show.
2. Shetland --wonderful mysteries, a little edgier then Midsommer Mysteries.
3. Zumbo's Just Desserts. Wow if you like baking shows this is terrific.
4. Girlfriends. Wonderful drama
5. Pie in the Sky. Great heartwarming series
6. Hamish McBeth. Beautiful scenery and lighthearted drama
7. Loves, Lies, and Records. I got addicted right away with this one.

I love binge watching series. If anyone has recommendations for me I'd love to know what you like too.

Have you managed to catch all the 'Line of Duty' series? It is absolutely awesome, nearly everybody here is salivating waiting for the next and probably last series. I love it.
Similarly, 'Shetland' I love it, and there is a new series starting soon on BBC; however it is nothing like the 'froth' that is 'Midsummer'! I like that too - it is a bit of fun really.
'McMafia' is new here on BBC, but is very good, I think you would like it.
'Hinterland' is also excellent, there have been about 3 series, brilliant, and a bit dark.
'Happy Valley' excellent police drama
'Last Tango in Halifax' brilliant, funny and a little sad.
'No Offence' excellent police drama - I love, love, love it
'Vera' very good police drama, long running and I cannot remember how many series there are.
Also, I love 'Scandi' drama - the originals, not the ones remade in English. I have no problem reading subtitles!
Have you heard of 'Jordskott'? A different type of Scandi drama, but I love it too, series 2 has just finished.
French police drama 'Spiral' excellent too, at least 4/5 series now - French subtitles this time!
'Montalbano" lovely Italian police drama - Italian subtitles, I love it too

I am sure there are more, but these are my favourites.

IrishNY 02-04-2018 02:15 PM

I loved The Crown and Longmire. Looking for my next binge watching target.

Onebyone 02-04-2018 02:29 PM

Thands Charlie26. I Love the British shows and the ones from New Zealand. If you can find 30 degrees in February it is an excellent series, I think from Iceland. Amazon has four seasons of Line of Duty. How many are there? I'll check out No Offense.

Stitchnripper 02-04-2018 02:38 PM

Father Brown Mysteries
Miss Fisher Murder Mysteries
Republic of Doyle
The Finder

Onebyone 02-04-2018 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper (Post 7996925)
Father Brown Mysteries
Miss Fisher Murder Mysteries
Republic of Doyle
The Finder

Yes very good. I've seen all of them.

Tothill 02-04-2018 03:33 PM

Not everyone's cup of tea, but I thoroughly enjoyed Dirk Gently Holistic Detective. I am not much for fantasy, but this was good. The second season just came out. You must watch them in order from the first season or nothing will make sense.

By the same author as Shetland is Vera. Another good series.

I binge watched all the Bosch shows on Prime last fall. I hope they make more of them. I really enjoy Michael Connelly's books.

Witnesses is in French but subtitled. Interesting show.

Top of the Lake is a New Zealand show that was broadcast on CBC. It probably is not available to view outside of Canada on the CBC site, but is worth looking for.

tranum 02-04-2018 06:19 PM

OK, I’m making list and including all ! Thank you, Thank you. I twisted DH’s arm very tight & finally convinced him to cut off cable. I told him we pay good $$$ for it and watch very little. Instead, we got a Roku and he admitted today it was a good thing. He’s watching Super Bowl which he didn’t think he could. (I believe he went in and added a free channel to make it happen). Saving $$$ and Life is Good !