Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Not a pretty picture (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/not-pretty-picture-t194444.html)

BuzzinBumble 07-14-2012 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by ptquilts (Post 5362329)
I am proud of my pasty white chicken legs, knobby knees and all!! well, it is easier that way anyway. I notice when I am in a swimming pool with light sides, my skin is the same color as the pool walls. I blend right in.

Me too Barb! And anything that lends to swimming pool camouflage is welcome!
LOL! I have an ad for self tanning at the top of this thread too! Too, too funny!

Julie in NM 07-14-2012 06:34 AM

So sorry for laughing out loud for your delilma! You would think living in the SW I"d have a a great tan but dp not enough of the special stuff in my skin to tan. After having skin cancer on face, just gave up.

Have you looked, really looked at movie stars? They aren't tan UNLESS they are Native American or African American! So in my book, pale is good and healthier for me. Check out the red carpet...rarely is there a tan goddess! Just a diff slant on this.

Lori S 07-14-2012 06:37 AM

I think I have legs that repell sunlight! Even when I was a lifeguard ... everything would tan .. but my legs... stayed white. I have concidered these self tanning products .. but after hearing your experience... I think I will just stay with the pastey look....

Stitchit123 07-14-2012 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 5361849)
I long ago learned to embrace the mighty white look. In the sun I burn and feel sick. The tanning products give me a rash so I proudly display my pasty white skin in the summer as I camp out in the shade.

I was wondering who was on the other side of the shade tree.Growing up our front yard was Lake Erie and we were in the water all day my 4 brothers all tanned but not me -they always called me Lily White Walking Stick and I still don't tan and I don't mind being a LWWS

Latrinka 07-14-2012 07:47 AM

I've never tried any of it, used to tan out in the sun when I was younger, now I just don't care.

Rose_P 07-14-2012 08:15 AM

A friend of mine had that problem when we were in high school. It scared me away from ever trying. I'm sorry to hear they haven't weeded out those products that do that to some people. It's been a great many years since I was in high school, and you'd think they'd have gotten it right by now.

suebee 07-14-2012 08:28 AM

OMG!!! Im sorry, but I laughed my head off and then had to read this to my hubby. Sorry for your troubles, I hope it does come off, keep us posted.

Krisb 07-14-2012 08:59 AM

My doctor recently relented and now allows me 20 minutes a day in the sun. That just about allows to and from the car and a little walking around. If I go for a walk, it's after the sun drops in the sky. My sister and I used to swim for hours--in shirts over our swimming suits. Once sunburned after 3pm--wasn't out until then. I will turn sort of tan--but still burn right on top of that. Some people just shouldn't go out in the sun. Besides, it gives you wrinkles.

bearisgray 07-14-2012 09:04 AM

I do tan a little bit - but never to the 'healthy glow' look

I can tell because when I get a haircut, I have a pale 1/2 inch line on my neck below the new hair line!
And my arms are darker than my skin that usually stays covered. They are wrinklier, too!

carolynjo 07-14-2012 09:36 AM

Ditto, Tartan! I have never been able to be out in the sun, but guess what? On Aug 1 I have to have a basal cell carcinoma removed from my face! I use sun screen, wear long-sleeved clothes and a straw hat when I garden, but I guess the damage was when I was younger (much younger) and had 3 bad sunburns many years apart.