Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   October Weight Loss Challenge (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/october-weight-loss-challenge-t254453.html)

CindyA 10-21-2014 12:34 AM

How's everyone doing with Halloween candy? I've been able to resist buying any. Once it's in the house, I'm in trouble!!

Had yoga last night, what a great stretch and I slept so well.

It's harder to remember to drink enough water now that it's getting a little cooler here. That's my goal for today - get enough water.

Pam H 10-21-2014 06:03 AM

I bought my candy over a month ago. One of the jumbo bags from Sam's Club. I opened it last week. So far I have only had 6 pieces. Last night at my card she had some of my favorite candies. I had 3. The peanut m&m's had 6 in the package. I also had half a piece of her dessert. Otherwise she served pretty healthy food. I don't eat dinner on card night because I have found I eat just as much food there even if I have had dinner.
Yesterday I delivered a wallhanging that a friend wanted me to quilt for her. She was very happy with it. I still have a lap quilt to do for her but I haven't figured out yet what to do with it. Oh, how I wish for a long arm machine!

CindyA 10-22-2014 01:22 AM

Oh, you're good, Pam. :D I'd have the whole jumbo bag gone by now.

meganc731 10-22-2014 08:50 AM

Pam - Congratulations on the new grand baby!!! How exciting :D

BJ - Fantastic! I can't wait until I'm able to say the same thing. Keep up the good work.

Cindy - We're having a Halloween party this year so I know I'm going to have to start buying the candy soon, but I'm scared to do so! :D I have yoga tonight, I can't wait! I usually go twice a week but I'm tied up on Monday's with my son's cross country team and I can't make it that night so I really savor my Wednesday night class. I can't wait to get back to my routine.

Pam H 10-22-2014 02:29 PM

Thanks, Megan. I'm excited there will be a new baby to hold but then I think about what it will be like when I am babysitting. I don't have near the energy I had 30 years ago when I had my 2nd baby. Allie may start going to daycare a couple of days a week. She needs to be around other kids anyway.
I think we should start looking at our shadow instead of the reflection in the mirror. I saw the shadow of a thin woman today as I left WW and it made me smile.
Here's a quote from Dr Mark Hyman: "You cannot exercise your way out of a bad diet."
I can't remember if I put this on here for you ladies or not. My brain is scaring me lately. Anyway, this sounds like it would be worth trying. It makes a lot of sense. Plus I have never seen many Japanese people who were overweight.
http://www.themindawakened.com/2014/...75MGL5PxSkH.01

meanmom 10-22-2014 03:16 PM

Yes Halloween candy is a problem here. My DH keeps getting out more bags and opening them. Once they are open I have a hard time. The arthritis in my knees has been flaring up. All over the internet it says sugar makes it flare up. I am trying to cut it out. My DH keeps bringing home bad things. I told him to stop but he didn't. I love peanut butter and he keeps bringing home peanut butter filled pretzels.He brought home 3 more containers today. GRRRRR!
Other than the candy I have been doing pretty well. I have been trying to exercise more to help my knees. The right one is really stiff. I am going to the knee Dr next week. Hopefully I can go back to getting synvisc shots. I do not want a knee replacement. Stairs are the worst. I need to do stairs to get to my sewing room. I told my DH I would scoot up on my butt if I have to.
Pam congratulations on the new grandbaby. They are so much fun.

meanmom 10-22-2014 03:22 PM

I have only received FQ from a few people so far. 3 months from Penni F, Jims Gem, Pete, and bjsmith. One month from Raggiemom. I still need to go find mine.
Raggiemom, I just looked at the return address on your envelope and you live less than 20 miles from me. Lots of nice quilt shops in the Cincinnati area. From what I read on here we have ton of shops compared to most places.
Pat

Pam H 10-22-2014 03:41 PM

Thanks for the reminder to send in the fat quarters. I got mine out as soon as I heard what to send but never got them into an envelope and out the door. Tomorrow! Allie and I will go for a walk to the store in the afternoon (if it's not raining). I had a hard time deciding on a Christmas fabric to send.
We don't have many quilt stores left around here. It's sad. One closed this summer and another one closed a week and a half ago. My favorite one closed 2 years ago. I really miss it. It was my 2nd home. I almost forgot about Mill's End closing not too long ago. We have 1 nice quilt store about 20 miles away plus a Jo-ann's and a Hancock Fabric.

meganc731 10-23-2014 12:08 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Pam - I hear what you're saying, if the older child (children?) went to daycare it would definitely lighten the load. I love the baby stage, so much cuddling :D

Pat - Did you receive 3 months from me? I ordered it on Etsy and it says it was delivered but I didn't have her put a note in it. Also I have 2 suggestions for your knees. My dad has arthritis in his knees and they added a second stair rail to the stairs so he could hold on with both hands. I don't understand how it helps his knees but he says going up and down is fine now! Might be worth a try. Also I had some knee pain but I don't think it was arthritis so I doubt it will help, but I found that going from downward dog to forward fold in yoga caused me a lot of knee pain. My instructor told me that she thought I was turning my knees outward and to try to focus on keeping them turned in. I started applying that idea right away to everything and it's almost cured all my knee pain. I only have problems when I'm not careful. The biggest change I made is that when I go up and down the stairs I turn my toes towards each other just slightly and it keeps my knees aligned. You're probably not dealing with the same issue I had, but even if it gives you just the lightest relief it might be worth watching your alignment for a couple days to see if there's anything you can improve.

Well I was so excited for yoga tonight, but I was really drowsy and I didn't think I'd be able to go if I didn't take a nap, so I tried to take a quick one and ended up sleeping for about 3 hours. I missed yoga and I'll probably be up for the rest of the night now, but I finished my quilt back for a gift I'm making!!! I'm so excited about how it turned out. It's my second quilt and the first time piecing the back. I created a label for it on Adobe Illustrator and printed it directly on my fabric. I'm so excited about that part :D

Here's a couple pics...

meanmom 10-23-2014 12:52 PM

Meganc I did receive yours. My DH brings the mail in and sets it in a different place every day. (He is so ADD) my kitchen table is covered with mail. He sets it on the counter etc. I dug to the bottom of the mess last night and found yours.
I have been thinking about trying yoga but after watching it not sure if I can do it. I have bad knees, I need at least one replaced. I am trying to delay it as long as possible. Do amy of you guys that do yoga think it can be done with bad knees?
We have a staff breakfast tomorrow. There will be tons of food. I hope I can behave myself. There are lots of donuts listed, I can skip those. I don't really like them. Also Panara bagels. I love those. I will have to plan a low WW point lunch and dinner.
They turned the heat on at school the last couple of days. I am going to die it is so hot.
Pat