Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Old stash you no longer like (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/old-stash-you-no-longer-like-t214446.html)

diamondee 02-22-2013 01:50 PM

Is it ugly on BOTH sides?:D I think it's clever to use cotton for swiffer mop,(that chenille would be great for that) There are sites out there in cyber land that has great uses for re-purposing fabric, toss in the wash covers, duster mitts, monthly pads, corn/rice bags, liners for tote bags. tissue covers to gift. Usually what happens to me is a find something I want to make and THEN need to find the fabric that I can live without putting in a quilt.

http://tipnut.com/make-your-own-swiffer-cloths/
http://www.allfreesewing.com/

mrs. fitz 02-22-2013 02:28 PM

A new (to me) use for uglies or fabrics that are way out of style - I received a book with selvage projects, each beginning with 9" selvage blocks. Whatever fabric you use for the block's base will be totally covered so I've cut some no-longer-wanteds into 9 1/2" blocks and I'm using up a lot of my saved selvages making blocks for that day when "inspiration will strike".

tenngal 02-22-2013 03:05 PM

I donated some to charity and a friend bought it and gave it to me!

Chasing Hawk 02-22-2013 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by tenngal (Post 5880910)
I donated some to charity and a friend bought it and gave it to me!

Classic!! :)

TanyaL 02-22-2013 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by wildyard (Post 5880328)
tanyal, I don't think anyone means to seem as if they are attacking or criticizing you. Just that as quilters, we all cringe at the thought of good, if ugly, cotton going into other uses than quilting. Especially those of us on limited budgets, as you are.
Myself, I agree that one must do what is best for themselves.
However, lol, when it comes to cotton suitable for quilting, I'd like to make an offer to yourself, and anyone else who needs/uses it for other uses.
I have lots of 100% cotton tshirt scraps, many good sized pieces left from making tshirt quilts. These would make awesome paint rags as well as mop cloths. I will be happy to trade tshirt cotton for quilting cotton, however ugly, with anyone who wants. LOL

Thank you for the offer, but t-shirts won't work for my paint rags because of their lint factor. Sometimes I wipe a mistake off my canvas and I definitely have to have a lint free rag, which is why the tight woven quilting cotten is perfect. You can imagine the horrible mess if lint gets stuck on the oil paint on a canvas.

2manyhobbies 02-23-2013 05:41 AM

I always give my "find a 4-H Club" advice when I see posts that want to get rid of fabric. A quilting leader would love any donation.

Suzette316 02-23-2013 06:12 AM

Wow, what an interesting thread and responses. I think for most quilters, the thought of taking quilting fabric (even if you don't like it) and using it to mop up paint, clean dirty floors, etc. is a sacrilege! I have to admit, I'm in that camp. It's not that I don't fully support your right to do with your stash as you please, but it does hurt a little to think of it. :eek: (And since you can't hear inflections or see facial expression, know that my post is meant to be light-hearted, not critical.)

As for passing on fabric that you don't like to others, I have to say I don't find that elitist or wrong. Afterall, beauty truly is in the eye of the beholder. Just because I don't like it doesn't mean someone else won't. So why not pass it on to someone who might find the beauty in it that I just don't happen to see? In fact, that's just what I do when I clean out my stash and the recipient has always been pretty pleased, so I see it as a win/win! :)

KarenR 02-23-2013 06:21 AM

Ugly (beauty) is in the eyes of the beholder. There are three quilters in my family ages 7-14-and my age (a whole lot older).

When I help pick my daughters fabric- I find the ugliest material I can in the shop and she LOVES IT. She has said I'm sooo cool to know the styles of kids. I finally admitted to her that I just pick what I HATE.

My son- anything in earthy tones and whatever he can get to sew on. Still working on color combination but his goal is a 2 1/2" square quilt- king size for college. Yes he is the youngest quilter. Any scraps get cut into 2 1/2 inch squares.

So if you got fabric that you do not like- think about 4-H/School/Scouts. I'm sure they can all use some of it.

MimiBug123 02-23-2013 08:42 AM

I use mine to make pot holders, mug rugs, bathmats, etc. Just things that I use (and wash) a lot and don't really take their beauty factor into account. I am also cutting 2 in. squares for a postage stamp quilt. If I cut it that small, you can't really tell if it's ugly or not!

LavenderBlue 02-23-2013 08:45 AM

I drop mine on the "free" table at our monthly guild meeting. They are always gone when I leave.