Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   paying with Paypal here (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/paying-paypal-here-t68489.html)

Melinda in Tulsa 10-06-2010 07:37 AM

Another side of the story. What if someone is sending you something free of charge, just asking to be reimbursed for the cost of postage? If you don't send it as a *gift*, the person sending you something for free, takes a hit on the postage....What do you do in a case like that?

Lilrain 10-06-2010 07:59 AM

send them an extra $ ?

DebraK 10-06-2010 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by Melinda in Tulsa
Another side of the story. What if someone is sending you something free of charge, just asking to be reimbursed for the cost of postage? If you don't send it as a *gift*, the person sending you something for free, takes a hit on the postage....What do you do in a case like that?

for free? a gift? then why involve Paypal?

Lilrain 10-06-2010 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by bob1414
I've used paypal about a thousand times - both buying and selling. Yes, there are fees - paypal makes money on transactions - it's their business. I've never asked anyone to send money as a "gift" and nobody has asked me to do it either. It would be lying, wouldn't it? Just my thoughts. If someone is asking you to do this, can you trust the transaction? I'm just saying..........

The reason I started this discussion is that I have made purchases from 4 people on here, and two of them asked me to do it. i was thinking that it must be very common here and it made me uncomfortable.

Lilrain 10-06-2010 08:02 AM

good point

mom-6 10-06-2010 08:11 AM

I've only done it through the seller sending me a paypal invoice, as this is the only way I 'know' how to do the transaction. I even did it that way to send my son money that WAS a gift (first paypal transaction I ever did!)

DebraK 10-06-2010 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by mom-6
I've only done it through the seller sending me a paypal invoice, as this is the only way I 'know' how to do the transaction. I even did it that way to send my son money that WAS a gift (first paypal transaction I ever did!)

I like to be invoiced as well.

Rebecca VLQ 10-06-2010 08:32 AM

From my experience, if someone says "free for shipping" or "Free for the cost of shipping" then no, they should not take the hit for fees. And it's acceptable to charge them the shipping with the estimated fees added in.

Me, personally? I round things off to the quarter. Nickels and dimes annoy me, so some times I take the hit by a few cents, and sometimes someone pays a few cents more. It all works out in the end. Now, if you said "free for shipping" and charged them $10 for a $3 package, that's unethical. But I don't think anyone is squawking about $.50. If you don't use FRE then you have to pay for packaging as well.

Back around to the original topic: Click "goods" if you are paying someone to send you goods. The person selling should take all factors into account before they list their requested price. It is not the buyer's fault if the seller didn't account for fees in the first place.

DebraK 10-06-2010 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by Rebecca VLQ

From my experience, if someone says "free for shipping" or "Free for the cost of shipping" then no, they should not take the hit for fees. And it's acceptable to charge them the shipping with the estimated fees added in.

Me, personally? I round things off to the quarter. Nickels and dimes annoy me, so some times I take the hit by a few cents, and sometimes someone pays a few cents more. It all works out in the end. Now, if you said "free for shipping" and charged them $10 for a $3 package, that's unethical. But I don't think anyone is squawking about $.50. If you don't use FRE then you have to pay for packaging as well.

Back around to the original topic: Click "goods" if you are paying someone to send you goods. The person selling should take all factors into account before they list their requested price. It is not the buyer's fault if the seller didn't account for fees in the first place.

yep, what you said.

Lilrain 10-06-2010 08:49 AM

I am the one who started this conversation.

the reason I started it....

I do like buying here, and plan to sell some things myself.
It appeared to me that with two out of four transactions, I had with sellers asking me to "Gift" them through PayPal. It appeared to be a common practice here,

It made me very uncomfortable, as I was really being asked to commit fraud. I should have said I did not want to do it, and if I lost the item, so be it.

We should be glad we have PayPal, as it sure simplifies things. No waiting for checks to clear, purchasing money orders, etc.

Thanks for all your input