Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Is quilting a solitary activity for you? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/quilting-solitary-activity-you-t130770.html)

emerald46 06-15-2011 03:50 PM

I do both but get much more done by myself at home. I can get in my "zone" and nothing interupts me. With the group, talking is a priority but I do get alot of handwork done there.

Kappy 06-15-2011 03:53 PM

I quilt alone, except for the dog and cat! :) and occassionally DH wanders in to see if I'm still breathing or to ask when supper will be ready! I have in the past taken a few classes, but with gas the price it is and living out in a rural area. Gotta be a little more careful with the cash flow....I say this as I just placed an order for fabric on line! Well, I saved on the fabric and the gas. LOL

Sneed 06-15-2011 03:57 PM

I have a couple of gals that come out once a week, and we work and talk. I will say that I never get a whole lot done on those days.
When I'm alone I really get cranked, and seem to be almost in competition with myself. Is this block better than the last one? Are you any faster? What did you do right last time that you can't seem to do again?? And,on and on. I talk to myself alot, but find that the answers are almost always correct!!
At night I love to sit and do handwork while I watch TV.

quilt1950 06-15-2011 04:01 PM

When I make quilts for myself/family, I quilt alone. But I have the opportunity to meet weekly/monthly with others to make charity quilts. It's a nice balance.

May in Jersey 06-15-2011 04:01 PM

I do most of my quilting at home, but at times I've joined some other members of my quild for workshops, sew ins and, of course, I'm always at our monthly pillowcase sew ins. My guild has many Open Sew Saturdays, Scrappy Wednesdays, a few evenring SewIns (everyone wears pjs( and many teaching workshops. It's nice to share quilting and time with other quilters but I find I get more done at home by myself. No TV or music, just the sound of my machine and my muttering under my breath when things go wrong. May in Jersey

Opal Jane 06-15-2011 04:02 PM

I quilt by myself because none of my friends are quilters. My sister is a quilter but she lives two states away.

pamesue 06-15-2011 04:02 PM

alone.....I meet with a group of great ladies once a month...but I usually just chit chat

I work full time and find that I actually enjoy the time alone....no phones, no interuptions, no one demanding my time.

Susie Quilter 06-15-2011 04:17 PM

I quilt whenever I can and with anyone I can. I always have something on the arm of my chair that I can stitch on when hubby is watching TV. I'm not a TV person, but feel we're together. I belong to two quilting guilds, quilt with a few ladies on Monday afternoon, and once a month, three of us ladies get together and quilt all day.
Happy Quilting

samifel 06-15-2011 04:17 PM

You know when I started quilting, there weren't many of us out there. I found that it gave me time to let my mind wander. My kids were very busy then, money was tight and I sort of got lost somehow. I was Bobby's wife and somebody's mother and everyone needed something from me and needed me to keep everything together. Quilting became a huge refuge for me. Don't get me wrong, my family was and is great, but at the point in my life that I began quilting it was my own private world. So yes, after a very long-winded explanation, I quilt alone.

Butterfli19 06-15-2011 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by samifel
You know when I started quilting, there weren't many of us out there. I found that it gave me time to let my mind wander. My kids were very busy then, money was tight and I sort of got lost somehow. I was Bobby's wife and somebody's mother and everyone needed something from me and needed me to keep everything together. Quilting became a huge refuge for me. Don't get me wrong, my family was and is great, but at the point in my life that I began quilting it was my own private world. So yes, after a very long-winded explanation, I quilt alone.

I completely get this. That's why I started with quilts then cloth dolls. Cross stitch to, for the last 25 years. And I still do it all alone. But I love it!