Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Rewards gift cards (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/rewards-gift-cards-t20373.html)

pittsburgpam 05-21-2009 09:35 AM

I use them for the rewards, mainly for things that I am going to buy anyway. I really like the different rewards catagories every quarter with Discover Card, things like gas and groceries. Why not get 5% cash back on things I buy anyway? Now American Express is doing the same and I enrolled the other day. My Citibank card is a Dividend card so I get cash back there too.

If they start charging interest from the time of purchase I won't use them anymore. No savings there.

I don't carry much balance on cards, normally pay them off each month. I do have one at 0% until October that I am paying a little bit each month. Why pay it off when I can keep that money in my high yield savings account and earn interest on it until September? The only other thing I owe besides mortgage is my auto loan, which is paid of in THREE MORE PAYMENTS!! Yoo Hoo!

bearpaw 05-22-2009 03:56 AM

Well, if they start accrueing interest from the day something is charged, I'm not using it anymore. I'll find a different way.

Yeah Pam!! Congrats on 3 more payments!! It feels so good to have a loan paid off!!!

pittsburgpam 05-22-2009 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by Rose Hall
My husband and I took a class at our church a few years ago, called Financial Peace University with Dave Ramsey. Since then we have closed our credit cards. I believe the credit card industry as a whole is a scam on the middle class. The only "person" who benefits from a credit card is the credit card company!
Just my humble opinion (JMHO)

Rose Hall

I understand managing credit but closing them hurts you too, your credit score anyway, and that can hurt you in a lot of ways. It hurts you in not getting credit if you need it, having a low credit score because of not using credit wisely and showing that you can manage credit, which equates to being charged higher interest rates if you do get a loan for anything.

It's a personal decision on what's most important... having no debt and never using credit or, having a higher credit score by using them wisely.

Skeat 05-22-2009 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by Rose Hall
My husband and I took a class at our church a few years ago, called Financial Peace University with Dave Ramsey. Since then we have closed our credit cards. I believe the credit card industry as a whole is a scam on the middle class. The only "person" who benefits from a credit card is the credit card company!
Just my humble opinion (JMHO)

Rose Hall

My dh and kid did this too....:)Everything is broke up to the envelopes...works great! Highly recomm. even his book!Skeat

JoanneS 05-22-2009 07:26 PM

The changes don't become law for 9 months - take your time!

JoanneS 05-22-2009 07:30 PM

The law doesn't go into effect for 9 months. The Friday night PBS analysts seem to think the credit card companies probably won't change their award programs - they'd just lose customers. Besides, if they do, you still have the 9 months to decide what to do.