Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Senior Discount at lunch (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/senior-discount-lunch-t86676.html)

Luv Quilts and Cats 01-02-2011 10:38 AM

I hear you. I went out to lunch with my parents and the waitress said I could order off the senior menu too if I wanted. Well, I did. Saved some money and had a smaller sized meal.

GrandmK 01-02-2011 10:58 AM

When I was 42 and had spent the Day as director at Cub Scout Day camp and was very tired. Went to the Hardies Drive through and the poor kid that waited on me said. "Do you qualify for the senior discount" I was playing with him but said. Do I look it?? He said yes no I don't know I am sorry. I told him I was NOT that old and that is not a very good way to "earn points" He thanked me. I am sure it was his first day and he was trying to be nice!! Every time I go to a fast food place now I ask for the discount and then ask if they need to see my ID!! LOL

Airwick156 01-02-2011 11:49 AM

I am 50 years old. I have been getting the "senior discount" now for about 8 years. My husband and I will go to the movie theater and he will say "one adult and one senior" with me standing right there and the kid working will not even look to see who the senior is. He doesnt do that anymore because it just isnt right. But....the person selling the tickets SHOULD AT least look to see if there is a senior there. :)

carlasuewho 01-02-2011 01:13 PM

On the other side of the coin-Indiana has a new law requiring ID for ANY alcohol purchase regardless of age. I wasn`t aware of the law so imagine my shock when I went to pick up alcohol for New Year`s and I got carded! I`m 53 (and probably look it?) I asked the kid behind the counter, "Uh? How old do ya have to be to drink in this town?" Which is when he pointed to the sign about the new law. I came home and told my hubby I JUST GOT CARDED AT THE LIQUOR STORE!
Sorry, I was flabbergasted. Hasn`t happened in 30 years. Thought maybe I was just lookin really good that day. I guess not!

JJane 01-02-2011 03:08 PM

Wow! More money for fabric. HA

quiltmom04 01-02-2011 04:12 PM

Many seniors discounts start at age 50 - you join AARP then. So if you're almost 55, I've say looking 50 isn't too bad!

HeatherS 01-02-2011 04:50 PM

Don't knock a $10 discount. Smile and enjoy.

EdieClay 01-02-2011 04:53 PM

If it will save me money, I'll gladly take any discount I can get!

sgraves1959 01-02-2011 05:43 PM

Some places start senior discounts at 50. My daughter will be 50 the 19th of this month and she just received a card and invitation to join AARP. I haven't told her yet.

jljack 01-02-2011 05:50 PM

I started letting my hair go "natural" last year, and now it is all s&p. My husband's hair has been going steadily whiter for over 4 years, and he has been asked about senior discounts since then. And he's 3 years younger than me!!