Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Sewer or Sewist? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/sewer-sewist-t307737.html)

bearisgray 10-31-2019 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by AZ Jane (Post 8320776)
Did the term "seamstress" go out of fashion? I though that was what someone who knew how to sew was called? Maybe I'm just getting old.

What is the difference between a "tailor" and a "seamstress"?

In my mind, a "tailor", usually a male, usually worked with men's clothing; and a "seamstress", usually a female, worked with women's and children's clothing. (This idea may or may not be correct - but it's what I have thought.)

(I have seen a lot of seam-stress in some of the tight jeans that some people wear!)

itssewfun 10-31-2019 06:38 AM

I much prefer to be a quilter or seamstress. I do make some clothing as well as quilts so both names describe what I do.

Lady Diana 10-31-2019 06:51 AM

Sewist is what I prefer. I recently worked with Louis Vuitton, manufacturing side, on a new workshop. Their "sewists" are called "Artisans". I guess we are all sewists, quilters and artisans. If you are sewing, Sewist, if you are quilting, "Quilter, if you are creating/designing, you are an Artisan. Whatever we call ourselves we are talented.

sewbizgirl 10-31-2019 07:24 AM

I have always considered myself a seamstress.

A tailor is a seamstress on steroids!

leaha 10-31-2019 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by AZ Jane (Post 8320776)
Did the term "seamstress" go out of fashion? I though that was what someone who knew how to sew was called? Maybe I'm just getting old.

nope I remember it well, had an aunt that was a seamstress,

juliasb 10-31-2019 09:14 AM

sewing clothing I am referred to as a seamstress. If making a quilt a quilter I am. if sewing a craft then a crafter I have become. Any other sewing just to run the sewing machine I believe I would like to be referred to as a sewing fanatic.

zozee 10-31-2019 09:21 AM

I prefer to call myself a quilter, since 98% of what I do at a sewing machine is quilt.
I think of a tailor as a man who sews and alters apparel, while a seamstress is a woman who sews and alters apparel.

I don’t care for “sewer” but am warming to the term, as “seamstress” sounds outdated, much like “actress”; today’s female film stars wish to be called actors.
Sewist? That just sounds corny to me.

JACRN 10-31-2019 10:12 AM

I agree with SusieQOH

nativetexan 10-31-2019 11:30 AM

Lynnie, you are not a terrible sewer or sewist by any means.
my Mother would have been a seamstress. she didn't quilt at all but could make a wedding gown by looking at one. I never had that much talent.

busy fingers 10-31-2019 11:59 AM

I refer to myself as a "sewist" not a sewer. I make childrens' clothes, my clothes, cushion covers, small items such as potholders, tote bags, tissue covers etc as well as quilts so to me seamstress or quilter do not cover all those things whereas sewist seems to encompass all sorts of sewing.