Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Sidewalks....brick, pavers, or poured concrete?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/sidewalks-brick-pavers-poured-concrete-t246521.html)

NJ Quilter 05-10-2014 03:59 AM

A friend of ours has a stamped/colored concrete walk and I must say, I'm not a fan. Maybe it's just their color choice but it also has a very slick surface. Can't imagine what that must be like to walk on when it's wet. I'd be on my butt repeatedly there. Just a thought. Also, I think a good base is a good base regardless of 'top dressing'. Our poured sidewalk from driveway to porch is in need of repair now as well. Slabs need to be lifted and leveled as well. Hopefully our contractor friend will be able to get this done for us in the near future as I've already taken one header into the garden tripping on the uneven slabs!

ziegamomma 05-10-2014 04:53 AM

How about concrete dressed up with some rows of bricks? Makes sure the bricks have some kind of footing under them so they don't shift so much. As I get older I think of uneven edges, ants, uneven shifting, but snow clearing wouldn't occur to me since it doesn't snow here!

AZ Jane 05-10-2014 06:26 AM

My first thought was concrete. Easier for anyone in a wheelchair. As I get older, I am always thinking of getting older LOL!

gramajo 05-10-2014 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by ziegamomma (Post 6711060)
How about concrete dressed up with some rows of bricks? Makes sure the bricks have some kind of footing under them so they don't shift so much. As I get older I think of uneven edges, ants, uneven shifting, but snow clearing wouldn't occur to me since it doesn't snow here!

You're lucky it doesn't snow, but from what I heard TX had a lot of ice. Ice is worse than snow. BTW I haven't put my snow shovel away yet. I'm afraid the snow fairy will decide to visit us again!

Sandygirl 05-10-2014 03:05 PM

I think the concrete probably makes sense from a $$ standpoint. We will contract this out...probably in 2015. I will ask the contractor bid a couple of options. I, too, alway think safety and practicality. Love the idea of a brick trim on the sides. What to do what to do!

We also need to replace the stoop up to the door. About 4 steps...need rails!
Sandy

Rubesgirl 05-10-2014 07:19 PM

We had our cracked and broken old front porch and walkway replaced 3 years ago with stamped concrete and we are very happy with it. We still get a lot of compliments on it and it is easy to keep clean. We had an unusually cold and icy winter this year and had no problems with it.

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 05-10-2014 07:51 PM

As for longevity, the brick streets in our town are over 100 years old. They are considered a historic landmark. apparently, they pretty much don't wear out.

trolleystation 05-11-2014 06:52 AM

pavers bricks or concrete

Originally Posted by Auntie V (Post 6709777)
The problem with pavers and bricks is that you can end up with ants making nests under and end up with ant hills.

You can now have a concrete patio that has the look of pavers, etc. The concrete contractor can put lines etc. in the concrete.

Stitchit123 05-11-2014 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by Auntie V (Post 6709777)
The problem with pavers and bricks is that you can end up with ants making nests under and end up with ant hills.

I have the pavers -they were here before me- and I hate them. They are riddled with Ant Condo's. And they are no longer a flat surface- a lot of ''trip stones'' now exist. Pavers and bricks are subject to the movement of the ground. They will be replacing the pavers with the poured cement with a dyed stamping. And there are a lot of designs to choose from.And if you don't like any of these you can design your own. But there are quite a few that look like quilts. My favorite design is the Log Cabin.

JanieH 05-11-2014 11:09 AM

I have poured concrete and love it. Easy to sweep and maintain with power washing.