Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Snow on its way (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/snow-its-way-t204111.html)

Chasing Hawk 10-25-2012 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by BMP (Post 5611490)
Tou all have me wondering now , I am in NY and havent paid any attention to the weather in days.....

Well my Friend,

You better start paying attention cause Hurricane Sandy is on her way. She is set to arrive around Halloween. :)

Say Hi to her for me.

LindaJR 10-25-2012 07:44 PM

They are saying Hurricane Sandy could cause snow in the mid Atlantic next week. Not looking forward to that but getting ready this weekend. Take care.

Dee 10-25-2012 08:03 PM

Depending on Sandy, we may get a dusting very soon.

My time 10-25-2012 09:29 PM

We've had snow here in Lumby British Columbia Canada, but it hasn't stuck around. Our local ski hill is sure looking white.

Peckish 10-25-2012 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by sailsablazin (Post 5610956)
Didn't think that the Pacific Northwest gets weather that you had to prepare for...thought it was pretty temperate---unless you are in Canada.

Depends on where in the PNW ChasingHawk is... If she's on the eastern side of the state, or at a higher elevation, she very well could get a lot of snow. I live in the Portland Metro area, which is nestled in a valley, and it is very temperate here - snow that sticks is rare.

"They" are saying we're supposed to have a very warm and very wet winter, but I'm wondering. There have been lots of bizarre sightings of wildlife in urban/suburban areas, such as a cougar and multiple bears. Makes me wonder what they know that we don't.

mumzer 10-26-2012 04:15 AM

I love to go out at night when it is snowing. It is such a peacwful time to take a walk.

BMP 10-26-2012 04:33 AM

I have now been watching the storm info on the WC, no mention of SNOW for us and only a possibility of it west of our area and only if the cold air mass does dip down. What they are warnign us about is the high winds and rain 3-5 inches !!!

MaryAnnMc 10-26-2012 05:54 AM

Our house is ready...
the hoses are put up
the dog's water buckets are plugged in
the dog's heater (those ones that look like the old radiator heaters but filled with oil)
the trucks have antifreeze and de-icer in the windshield washer container
And the survival packs are stowed away in the trucks.
propane bottles and heaters are in the garage along with a propane stove.
and most important a small generator is on standby[/QUOTE]

Here in the Sunshine State, we prepare for different disasters, and we are thankful "Sandy" is passing us by. I forget just how much work preparing for winter is. But I do miss snow (sorry, Coyote, I used that four-letter word). Enjoy it for me. Non-stop sun gets boring.

Chasing Hawk 10-26-2012 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish (Post 5612919)
Depends on where in the PNW ChasingHawk is... If she's on the eastern side of the state, or at a higher elevation, she very well could get a lot of snow. I live in the Portland Metro area, which is nestled in a valley, and it is very temperate here - snow that sticks is rare.

"They" are saying we're supposed to have a very warm and very wet winter, but I'm wondering. There have been lots of bizarre sightings of wildlife in urban/suburban areas, such as a cougar and multiple bears. Makes me wonder what they know that we don't.

We live at the foothills of the Cascades on the Eastern side of that mountain range. Due to the high mountain known as Mt. Bachelor, we get blasted pretty good with winter weather. Our first year here we got a couple of feet of snow in the yard, the next year......5-6 feet!! So we have learned to get the property ready in October cause after that we may not get the chance. Our neighbor plows our driveway and the cul-de-sac. Since gas prices are through the roof lately we stock up on groceries and such so if anything bad happens were prepared. And we don't have to leave the house unless we get restless or I run out of quilting supplies......lol

Chasing Hawk 10-26-2012 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by MaryAnnMc (Post 5613392)
Our house is ready...
the hoses are put up
the dog's water buckets are plugged in
the dog's heater (those ones that look like the old radiator heaters but filled with oil)
the trucks have antifreeze and de-icer in the windshield washer container
And the survival packs are stowed away in the trucks.
propane bottles and heaters are in the garage along with a propane stove.
and most important a small generator is on standby

Here in the Sunshine State, we prepare for different disasters, and we are thankful "Sandy" is passing us by. I forget just how much work preparing for winter is. But I do miss snow (sorry, Coyote, I used that four-letter word). Enjoy it for me. Non-stop sun gets boring.

Last time I lived in Florida (Ft. Lauderdale area) was just before Hurricane Andrew hit. It's lovely down there, but I don't miss the humidity, mosquitoes and those flying palmetto bugs!