Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   So disappointed with Dr Phil (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/so-disappointed-dr-phil-t245334.html)

farmquilter 04-18-2014 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by Eva Knight (Post 6680329)
He has gone Hollywood. So has Dr. Oz and The Drs. I always enjoyed them all when they were informative. Now I don't bother.

My thoughts exactly about Dr. Oz, don't watch it at all because it has become an 'info-commercial'. If I want to waste time, it will be gathering information from the posts on the board, things I can actually use.
Thanks to all who freely share their projects and links, have learned so much from everyone.

KalamaQuilts 04-18-2014 08:16 AM

We haven't owned a TV for years (well we have one to watch movies on) but the one thing Dr. Phil left with me, was the phrase "how's that workin' for ya?"

When I get all wound up about something I say that phrase to myself and get a much clearer view of drama queen central :) and always get a laugh on myself.

Doggramma 04-18-2014 08:56 AM

KalamaQuilts---I learned something from him too. He says there are 2 sides to a pancake, no matter how thin. I think of that when I hear something that kicks in my "judgy-ness". I have to remember there are always two sides to a story, and whoever tells the story spins it in their favor.

quiltmom04 04-18-2014 09:19 AM

I just can't imagine who would agree to go on TV to expose their family problems to a national audience !! It seems like some people will do anything for money and notoriety - just look at the Karsashians or Honey Boo boo! Good grief!

jcrilley 04-18-2014 10:57 AM

He went Hollywood a long time ago - I don't watch and haven't for a long time.

athomenow 04-18-2014 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by lynnie (Post 6680286)
I just started watching him. He is promoting a lot, including his Dr. on Call thingy. They sent me stuff to be on his show. I didn't want to go. You never know who he's going to turn on. I like the nasty MIL stories. ( I think her name was Galoop or something like that.) Me and my MIL hang out together, so we don't have those problems,

She was a hoot, finally the daughter divorced the husband and is either remarried or dating someone the mother likes. I can't believe that a daughter would allow her mother to interfere like that. I didn't have a problem with either of my MIL's. They respected my space and I did theirs.

zennia 04-18-2014 01:52 PM

I just looked up his bio. He is a self serving nasty man.

Cogito 04-18-2014 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by Eva Knight (Post 6680329)
He has gone Hollywood. So has Dr. Oz and The Drs. I always enjoyed them all when they were informative. Now I don't bother.

Yes! I feel the same way. Sad that Dr Oz has turned toward what will up his ratings rather than real health and living. And I quit watching Dr. Phil long time ago for the very reasons mentioned above. Amazing how shamelessly he pushes his family products.

MarleneC 04-18-2014 03:54 PM

You never mentioned is son's sponsorship of "The Doctors" TV show. I too was turned off by the promotion of his wife's skin care line. Don't we already have enough celebrities promoting their own beauty products? I seldom watch him but I've seen how they did a makeover on a woman with her products. The same with Dr. Oz--promotes all these things for health, weight loss, etc. and then complains because people are using his name to promote what he has advised using on his show.

Friday1961 04-18-2014 05:18 PM

Dr. Phil is a UNT graduate and lived and practiced in Dallas before he went Hollywood. I like him and think he's probably a good psychologist. That he wants his whole family involved in his show is his business, but I agree with feffertim: we're already watching a lot of commercials to pay for his show, why should we have to watch in-show commercials, too, that are constructed solely to make him, his wife, and his son even more financially secure? I quit watching a long time ago, in favor of C-Span or news or a movie on TCM.

And, sorry, but I've never liked Robin.