Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Space Bags? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/space-bags-t203758.html)

Mona Marie 10-22-2012 03:22 AM

I have several and love them. Cut the space and not have more room.

marymay 10-22-2012 03:39 AM

They are the best. I use them all the time.

promenades 10-22-2012 03:47 AM

I love space bags! I use them all time. When I became ill about 5 years ago, I stored my batting and other stuff in them. I took the batting out and it was just like new. I also stored clothing, sweaters, comforters in them. They save lots of space and keep everything in them as fresh as the day you put it in.

Lyncat 10-22-2012 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by promenades (Post 5603134)
I love space bags! I use them all time. When I became ill about 5 years ago, I stored my batting and other stuff in them. I took the batting out and it was just like new. I also stored clothing, sweaters, comforters in them. They save lots of space and keep everything in them as fresh as the day you put it in.

What a great idea for storing batting. I think I'll try that.

Momo 10-22-2012 05:32 AM

I have several of these and they are good storage, but they do leak and fill up with air after a time.

Janie67 10-22-2012 05:55 AM

Have used them for seasonal clothing storage and had trouble with the "zip lock" closure. When they work they are great but the larger sizes are very heavy when moving from location to location.

Tudey 10-22-2012 06:10 AM

I like to use them when I have to ship a quilt to someone----gets it into a smaller box for sure

Robinlee 10-22-2012 07:48 AM

I use them all the time. Even on occassion in a suitcase to travel.

DonnaC 10-22-2012 08:00 AM

I have used them in the past, but as Janie says they get very heavy, very fast. I once bought the larger bag (kind of a "floor model") with two handles and I could not possibly lift the thing, so I would not do that again. The smaller bags are okay if you want to store just one comforter or something like that, but all of the brands I have tried have been hard to zip closed, and they do lose air after a while.

buslady 10-22-2012 10:38 AM

Buy the Extra heavy duty garbage bags, crunch up the top and stick your vac hose in there. suck out all the air, hold tight to the top and slowly pull the hose out and twist the top really tight. Put a twist tie on, very tightly. This will hold as good as the costly bags do. My DH and DS were amazed when I showed them this when he was moving. I had to ship a quilt to my dad and it was big. So I folded it up so the shape was the shape of the box, I put it in one of those trash bags, sucked out the air, fit it in the box, sealed it tight and shipped it out to him! Works like a charm. It is AMAZING how much air space there is is stuff.