Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   thin nails (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/thin-nails-t61890.html)

leatheflea 08-28-2010 03:47 PM

Wal mart sells a vitamins called hairs skin and nails. I've been using it for months it works.

ICU_FOSTERMOM 08-28-2010 03:50 PM

I bought 'skin,hair and nails' too.
I have never ever had long nails. and I am an old lady.
BUT with the skin,etc,etc I now have long strong nails.
I can hardly believe my eyes.

I even had a dr. tells me once that I would never be able to have much of anything for nails because the exema on my hands was so bad that it ruined my nail beds.

I'd give the specialized vit. a try if I was You.

sueisallaboutquilts 08-28-2010 04:00 PM

ICU- I used to have horrible ecxema on my hands. They cracked and bled and got swollen. I had it for about 15-20 years and being a nurse sure didn't help!! Gloves are great but I still washed my hands constantly. So glad it finally settled down. I really don't know why but I'm just glad it did! Never affected my nails though.

clem55 08-28-2010 04:43 PM

I heard once that coating your nails with Vasiline every night and sleeping with gloves on really helped. It is good fo very dry hands also. ANd, if your nails are growing, be very careful about filing them. Too much and too hard, and different directions can cause breakage. If all else fails, go get acrylic nails. I have them and I love having pretty nails all the time. That is the pampering I give too myself, that and a pedicure at the same time. Heaven!!

true4uca 08-28-2010 05:09 PM

I will surely buy those vitamins when we are state side in Oct. When working I did the acrylic nails, it was great. Now we are retired just can't afford the up keep of acrylic nails. Those $ go to fabric.

oatw13 08-28-2010 06:14 PM

Talk to your doctor first, but I find that taking Calcium makes a huge difference in my nails. If I stop taking it for awhile I can tell because my nails start to split or bend.

You just need to check with your doctor first to see if Calcium is right for you and to see if you need any additional supplements with it.

Maride 08-28-2010 06:36 PM

Your nutrition is the only thing that will improve your nails. My nails were at their best when I took gelatin capsules. Eating Jell-O helps, but you need way too much of it. GNC carries them. Make sure you select the highest gelatin content and use it every day. They will grow fast and strong.

seamstome 08-28-2010 06:41 PM

I was going to say that I fixed biting my nails by going to acrylics. Now the only time I do it is when they are starting to lift.

texas granny 08-28-2010 06:41 PM

Are you still working Susan.

Elizabeth-Liz 08-28-2010 07:00 PM

I take supplements for my Thyroid along with thyroid medicine and my nails are strong, thick and grows great. But they did not get in good shape until I started the supplements. Had been taking the medicine for years. So you might want to do a little research on that. I have read that even tho your test will show you are in the proper range, if it is on the low side, you can have symptoms of a hypo thyroidism.