Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   The Things People Say (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/things-people-say-t281053.html)

Jan in VA 08-05-2016 10:43 PM

I picked up 2 expressions from my husbands.

1. "like being kicked to death by grasshoppers" when something is driving you crazy or taking forever to complete. (from VA)

2. "suck all the air out of the room" when something has made you gasp suddenly. (from Colo) I do this too often, LOL!! :D

Jan in VA

SunlitenSmiles 08-06-2016 02:44 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 (Post 7619172)
I live in So CA and I can't think of one slang that is used commonly in the area. Of course, young kids always have their own dialect.

Los Angeles County, Southern California,
"405" means: messy, disaster, to-be-avoided, crowded

I am not young, but several grandchildren ...giggle

Evy 08-06-2016 03:13 AM

I was in the cafeteria in a hospital in southeastern KY and overheard an elderly woman and a younger woman arguing. The older one finally told the other "girl you are settin' on stupid and about to fall in". I thought that was one of the best I'd ever heard.

Battle Axe 08-06-2016 03:26 AM

When we moved back to Southwest Missouri my cousins would say: When are you'ens closin. Meaning what are the store hours.

Boston1954 08-06-2016 03:34 AM

Born and raised in Massachusetts. I say "I did not make note of it" when I didn't realize something.
A lightning bug is what others call a firefly.
Jim always says he is going to "hit the hay" instead of "going to bed".
He also calls "lunch" dinner. To me dinner is the same as supper.

Battle Axe 08-06-2016 03:38 AM

Kathy of the raptor rescue in Texas had an owl chick she said was "wilder than an outhouse rat".

JaniceP 08-06-2016 04:42 AM

When I moved to Louisiana, someone would ask me to carry them to the store. Meaning, take me in your car. In East Tennessee a purse is a pocketbook. The trunk of a car is the turtle. In Alaska, you're prettier than a new set of snow tires. I don't know where it started but my husband heard a saying, that dog won't hunt, meaning whatever you are working on will not work. They are too big for their britches!

Kassaundra 08-06-2016 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by Watson (Post 7619147)
Well, in my part of Canada we of course ALWAYS, say "eh?"

Soda is "pop" and potato chips are just "chips", but so are french fries, for the most part.

"How's it goin?" is the same as "How are you?" (Also known as "How's it going', eh?")

Watson

PS..Stitchnripper...."Well bless her heart" around here means about exactly the opposite. Usually reserved for someone who has done you dirt.

I live in the south (U.S.) and we all say "well bless her (his) heart" and it is usually derogatory here too, usually followed by the silent .......... she can't help it she is so stupid.

Pam S 08-06-2016 05:19 AM

People in Cincinnati say "Please?" when they want you to repeat something. Never heard that before I moved here. We used to say "come again?" when we didn't understand.
My Dad used to say "he's only got one oar in the water", meaning he's not too bright.

Kassaundra 08-06-2016 05:22 AM

I have heard most of these, one that I didn't see mentioned came from my first step mother who is from North Dakota, she referred to her hair in the plural all the time. Like "Go wash your hairs" or "Your hairs need to be brushed" or "Let me braid your hairs"