Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Thoughts on sending fruit for a funeral rather than flowers (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/thoughts-sending-fruit-funeral-rather-than-flowers-t228595.html)

miriam 08-24-2013 02:57 AM

QB rocks!!! I've never thought of any of that stuff!!! I also saw someone made a casket quilt! I grew up with funeral flowers always coming to the house. I can't stand the sight of gladiolas to this day.

Sandygirl 08-24-2013 03:17 AM

Even send it a week or two after the funeral.

Sandy

carolaug 08-24-2013 03:23 AM

I like sending a plant so that they remember the person and it lasts. I also love the idea of a snack basket! This board rocks!

himnherr 08-24-2013 03:54 AM

When our friend's mom died, he and his wife drove to Ohio to be with his dad. The week of the funeral was very hectic, to say the least. We ordered a fruit and nut basket to be delivered to their home the day before the funeral. They thanked us a lot for that because it was something they could nibble on as none of them had appetites. Plus it's something they could easily offer when someone dropped in. I'd definitely do it again, in lieu of flowers.

Sewflower 08-24-2013 04:04 AM

I have been a floral designer for 23 years. I know flowers can be expensive but most floral shop will work within your budget. We do fruit baskets and junk food baskets at a reasonable price. Please try to support your local businesses because they have families to support too.
I agree it is nice to save a few dollars. All I am asking is just consider what impact this has on small local businesses same as your LQS.

AnnT 08-24-2013 04:09 AM

I like the idea of sending something besides flowers. Flowers are beautiful but die all too quickly. A plant is better but I really like the thought of something useful, foods or beverages or household products. Something that can and will be used.

Quilt-Till-U-Wilt 08-24-2013 04:24 AM

Fruit baskets are okay but what if they get more then one. Fruit doesn't last a long time. I asked my friend who recently lost her husband if she would like a fruit basket and she said you can only eat so much fruit and she had already gotten one. She named a charity and we sent money to the charity.

liese 08-24-2013 04:51 AM

I've sent Edible Arrangements several times. My thoughts are that when people stop by there is something to munch on and it's done up looking like flowers so it covers both -- flowers and food. I'm sure the recipients will enjoy the fruit arrangements for a quick, nutritious snack as well.

Clarice29 08-24-2013 05:53 AM

These are wonderful ideas and very helpful. I'm glad I took the time to read all of them. Thank you all.

mighty 08-24-2013 05:53 AM

I think it would be a very nice thing to do.