Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   We are getting an Aldi store (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/we-getting-aldi-store-t155242.html)

Quiltinggma-nc 09-24-2011 09:14 AM

Aldi's has good prices. There fresh produce is usually lower in price than the chain stores. I go to my local Aldi's a couple times a month to stock up on staples as they are also lower in price.

grannypat7925 09-24-2011 09:19 AM

They are wonderful. Lots of good stuff and usually cheaper than Walmart. Not a lot of frills, just good prices.

toadmomma 09-24-2011 10:09 AM

their french onion dip is the best, beats out all others

shadow59602 09-24-2011 11:34 AM

Wow, I wish we would get an Aldi. I always shopped at Aldi in Germany and I loved that store. The prices were good also. I live in Montana and the population is less than one million. I don't believe we will ever get one.

luv-e 09-24-2011 11:43 AM

I have to say also, it is my fav. store!!!
I can buy romaine lettuce there and it will last a couple of wks in the ref. You buy it @ WM and it is bad by the end of the wk.!!!!
They have such a turnover in their produce. you are always getting the freshed you can buy!!!!
Their EVOO is a great price too...[extra virgin olive oil]
Times are hard and this store makes it easier on the pocketbook...
You see everyone from all walks of life in our store.....

happy sewer 09-24-2011 11:52 AM

We like most things at Aldis.
Hope you do also. Hope your lines won't be as long. The ladies here don't keep the lines down to well, but other than that it's ok. If you see something you really like stock up. They may not get it again. Good luck.

sunflowerpeg 09-24-2011 12:02 PM

oh, you are SO fortunate to have this store nearby. i shopped there a LOT when we lived in des moines. the kids HATED going there........."why can't we go to the 'normal' grocery store?" and guess what? the oldest and his wife are now shopping at their neighborhood ALDI in st. louis.

Elfi2 09-24-2011 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by bodie358
We don't have them here in Cali but I have heard they have the best prices of anyone, anywhere. I am jealous.

Don't worry, they spread like a rash ;-) It's not that many years ago, there were no Aldis in Australia - I'm used to them from Germany where they originated - great stores!!! When we got to Australia 7 yrs ago the next Aldi was about 4-5 hours away, now they've just opened the 2nd one in the town (pop. around 47'000) near were we live - so you might just not know what lies around the corner :lol:

Ann L 09-24-2011 12:58 PM

Don't forget to bring your own bags or you have to pay for their's. Love that idea. Makes me think twice before I leave home without my basket.

Pinkiris 09-24-2011 12:59 PM

We have been shopping at our local Aldi more and more in recent months as we've watched food prices escalate in our town.

As others have said, their produce prices aren't often beaten by other stores. Especially fresh mushrooms (49cents/8 oz. this week), lettuce and broccoli. I also love the low price on their minced garlic in a jar, which I use a lot of.

We are also seeing more and more name brand products there. Most times, it's a "special purchase" and the item isn't regularly carried.

All in all, we find that we can save quite a bit of money by stopping there.