Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   We have been invaded!!!!!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/we-have-been-invaded-t60736.html)

LindaR 08-22-2010 09:40 AM

gypsy moths...really invasive...will absolutely strip a tree. Michigan had real problems with them a few years ago and did extensive spraying...when my DH sees a web in a tree he cuts it out and burns it.

pookie ookie 08-22-2010 10:43 AM

One year we had a moving carpet of fuzzy brown ones for a yard. Just that one spring. Don't understand it.

Sadiemae 08-22-2010 10:43 AM

I saw them in a tree at a rest area, I haven't seen them at my house.

sewmuch 08-22-2010 11:03 AM

Speaking of fishing, my friend lives in Ohio and she has Japanese beetles, while there last month, I helped her collect them and she feeds them to the bass in her lakefront backyard....the fish love em....

Ditter43 08-22-2010 11:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)
If they are coming from the big web nests you see in the trees, they are tent caterpillars. However, the tent caterpillars hatch earlier in the year and are fuzzy looking with very irritating hairs. These are a different kind.

eastern tent caterpillar
[ATTACH=CONFIG]102058[/ATTACH]

Luv Quilts and Cats 08-22-2010 11:13 AM

If this freaks you out, don't watch the movie Squim. It's a grade B horror movie with earthworms. Actually, it's kind of funny. I have not seen these catarpillars in our grass. Maybe the hot, dry weather allowed more of them to come out. We are getting rain today, Hooray! I never thought I would be cheering on the rain, but we really need it. It is going to be cool and rainy until Wednesday, I think.

Sadiemae 08-22-2010 11:15 AM

I wish it would rain. The smell of smoke from the fires south of me is just horrible today. Makes your eyes burn.

Luv Quilts and Cats 08-22-2010 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by Sadiemae
I wish it would rain. The smell of smoke from the fires south of me is just horrible today. Makes your eyes burn.

We had that problem over the three day Memorial Weekend. Major fires in Quebec were the cause and the wind shifted and brought the smoke down to NH. The sky was very hazy, the smell of smoke everywhere. I hope the wind carries the smoke away from you soon.

cjomomma 08-22-2010 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by Ditter43
If they are coming from the big web nests you see in the trees, they are tent caterpillars. However, the tent caterpillars hatch earlier in the year and are fuzzy looking with very irritating hairs. These are a different kind.

These are not fuzzy at all. I hadn't seen any of the tent webs in the trees around us, actually I haven't seen any in town or out of town at all.

cjomomma 08-22-2010 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by Sadiemae

We finally got rain this last week. I think it rained 3 times and each one was a down poor. That was the first rain we had in 4 or 5 weeks.