Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   What food did you hate as a child? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/what-food-did-you-hate-child-t190176.html)

mltquilt 05-28-2012 04:09 AM

Hated liver and still do. Mom also cooked brains and scrambled eggs. You had to eat what was cooked so I had vegetables, bread, and milk when liver or brains was cooked.

mltquilt

LindaR 05-28-2012 04:52 AM

cream of wheat...still can't stomach it. LOL

jbud2 05-28-2012 04:56 AM

Liver!! Love onions. Mom even would cook beef heart. One evening she had made it and Dad was late coming home from work.(at least that is what he told us - maybe he didn't like beef heart either!) She put that heart on the table and my sisters and I (5 of us) "cut" that heart up so bad, Mom couldn't even eat it. I won't eat the skin when we have hogmaw - I guess I have something against organ meats! But I don't like venison either.

Tartan 05-28-2012 05:17 AM

Raw oysters! I can't get past how that look. I don't know if I'd like the taste or not.

quilter41 05-28-2012 05:33 AM

Creamed chip Beef. It actually gags me. None of that in my house. The other thing was being made to sit until I ate it. I never made my kids and grandkids do this. Just if they didn't eat there were no snacks.

DogHouseMom 05-28-2012 05:41 AM

Peas (and all true beans) but especially split pea soup. Couldn't even stomach the smell of it cooking (and I knew when it was coming cause mom baked a Ham). Mom would tell me in the morning that she was making it so I could go straight to a friends house for dinner after school. She knew the odor made my stomach turn.

Still does.

Loathesome stuff.

alwayslearning 05-28-2012 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by Sandra in Minnesota (Post 5247834)
Around age 40 I started liking liver fried with onions and bacon. Yum! Anything tastes good when it is fried in bacon.

That is the way my mother fixed liver and I still hated it! Still do! Spinach was something I hated as a child, but love now. There is a world of difference between canned and fresh!

bearisgray 05-28-2012 06:05 AM

I try to get the grandkids to at least try one small bite of something. Sometimes they are pleasantly surprised.
The granddaughters didn't want to try asparagus - they did - now everyone has to guard their serving of asparagus.

gramajo 05-28-2012 06:20 AM

I hated tomato soup--still not fond of it. Mom would feed us kids tomato soup & grilled cheese sandwiches while fixing a steak for my dad. I always thought that was so unfair! I always gave my kids whatever we were eating--only fair.

Ellen 05-28-2012 06:43 AM

That would be tomatoes.....my gawd, they were snotty. I like tomatoes now but I still have to squeeze the snot out of them. I can't do cantelope at all. Never had it as a kid and don't know what it tastes like because I can't get it past my nose. I've almost thrown up in the grocery stores when I walked by over ripe ones. Darn, I'm gagging now just thinking about it.