Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   What needle size for dense embroidery? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/what-needle-size-dense-embroidery-t89069.html)

Freddie 01-11-2011 09:37 AM

I think you can slow down. Half speed. I just read that in the manual. Have not done it yet.

Joeysnana 01-11-2011 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by Freddie
I think you can slow down. Half speed. I just read that in the manual. Have not done it yet.

I guess I better re-read the manual! :)

Freddie 01-11-2011 07:14 PM

When you turn on your machine, press the middle button on the bottom. It looks like a page. The needle count will show. Press the forward arrow key until you see machine speed. The 650 speed is probably highlighted. Press the 350 speed. Hope this will help.

Joeysnana 01-12-2011 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by Freddie
When you turn on your machine, press the middle button on the bottom. It looks like a page. The needle count will show. Press the forward arrow key until you see machine speed. The 650 speed is probably highlighted. Press the 350 speed. Hope this will help.

Thanks for the tip!

Trixiebeans618 03-27-2018 07:28 PM

How do you get the names on your machine i havent figured that out i can do 1 word but what happens if its 2 words like high land how do u space in between the words or if u make 2 files with the 2 words how do u know where the placement is etc etc also whats that plastic thing with the grid lines in it for its the size of the hoop

Originally Posted by Freddie (Post 2226389)
I also am new to embroidery. I got the PE770 for christmas and promised my swimteam that I would embroider the school's name on their jackets. (32 kids).
I contacted Brother USA and they sent me a very nice e-mail. They recommended to use size 14 needle. The jackets were 100% polyester and had a very dense weave. I did have trouble with the machine embroidery thread though. It kept on breaking. I guess it shredded because of the density. I ended up using 100% all purpose thread and they came out beautiful. Thank goodness, I did not ruin one single one. I admit being very nervous. Now I can play. I just made a lace ornament bell. Used size 11 needle and had embroidery thread which I could not use on jackets in both top and bobbin. It came out beautiful. In other words, try different things!!!
p.s. love my PE770

ThreadHead 03-27-2018 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by Joeysnana (Post 2225773)
I just got a Brother PE 770 embroidery machine and have a lot to learn! I have been using the size 11 Organ needle that came with the machine. How will I know when a design is denser and may require a larger needle, e.g. 14? What signs do I look for that my needle is not the right size for the design? TIA

For a dense design you need an extra piece of stabilizer under the design. If my design size is thick and larger than quarter, i slide an extra piece under the design.
I use window film as my first piece to lay my fabric on because it is sticky and cheap. It cost 45.00 for the roll, but it will last a life time. I've digitized over a 1100 designs and i've only used about half of it.
I hoop the inside hoop with the film, run a glue stick around the area, then lay my fabric down, not hooped. I then slide the stabilizers under the design area.
I use needle size 9 on very light weight fabrics, 12 on most everything else, 14 or leather for heavier fabrics like jeans. Just keep at it, it's fun.

Chasing Hawk 03-28-2018 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by Freddie (Post 2244478)

Wow, learned something new today, thanks!