Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Priority Mail Boxes from USPS >
  • Priority Mail Boxes from USPS

• Priority Mail Boxes from USPS

Old 12-16-2009, 05:55 AM
    Power Poster

I just mailed a large size box last Wed. 1st class. The postal worker asked me if I wanted to send it 1st class, it was cheaper. The postal workers in this town seem to use the rules when they want to. I get different answers from different workers.
    Old 12-16-2009, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by watterstide
    i have a 10 pound scale from the post office,i bought. it really helps. i also click and ship from home. no more waiting in line for me! the weight limit is 70 pounds. Flat rate is cheaper if it is heavy. i re-use all boxes. i like recycling them.
    there is a list of prices and the weights ..

http://www.usps.com/prices/priority-mail-prices.htm
    This is what I do too. It's nice because you get a break on the shipping cost, delivery confirmation is free (when applicable) and you can see right online which way is cheaper to ship. Saves a ton of time because I print the paid shipping label from home and no waiting in line at the post office. Sweet deal!

:thumbup:
    Old 12-16-2009, 09:30 AM

Interesting discussion....I have to mail my Quilt for Kids back and am wondering how you all sent yours back?? Mine came in a plastic bag from UPS..What's the best way to send it back?? Thanks, Nancy
    Old 12-16-2009, 01:43 PM
    Power Poster

I usually use what ever means is the least expensive. I will be sending 2 back at a time and if I could get them both in the $5 priority envelope in they would go :D:D:D I will put them in a box and let the PO tell me which way is the cheapest :wink:
    Old 12-19-2009, 08:54 PM

I use to use these boxes a few years back, by turning them inside out and regluing them. I noticed this year they are printed inside as well, so I figured it was a bust. I have family outside the state and it is a necessity to mail things, so this year I sent all my grandbabies a Holy Bible NIV, and bought their flat rate boxes.....well they added $2.86 to the price of the box. The first one I mailed, was flat rate, no other cost. Then I went in to mail the other three and bam, bam, bam! $7.81 each was too much, so I bought one bigger box and went to another post office and mailed it for the one flat rate. Now I wonder what the extra was for, any ideas? I'm a windy old bag, sorry. Thanks for the vent.
    Old 12-19-2009, 11:27 PM
    Power Poster

Were you using their boxes that are not marked priority? Those are the ones they sell and they can cost $2.86 or MORE... I paid $1.49 for one of their manilla type envelopes when I was out and in a hurry to get squishy mailed out.
    Even Walmarts shipping boxes here are $2 and up.
    Old 12-20-2009, 10:05 AM

I'm slow, by the time I get my user name and password in and wait for this dinasaur to bootup, I forgot what I wanted to say and the page with your reply is missing and gosh, I'm a clutz with this.....but if I remember correctly you asked about the type of box. It was those new folded ones they have out front they call flat rate. The first one was mailed at the price of the box. The next weren't, so I got only one bigger and put all the Bibles in it. Just amazes me how I can get so fogged OUT. SOmetimes I can't remember what I'm saying or doing. But thank you for your reply, amma. And I love your quote. Sam Levenson was quite a witty man, as I remember. Blessings, Ruth
    Old 12-20-2009, 10:10 AM

Before using these make sure you check other ways to ship your box. I have found a few times that it is cheaper not to use them.
    When I sell flat rate boxes full of fabric I always check both ways and if its cheaper to pack in a regular box I bring it back home and add a little more fabric to make up the difference.
    Judy in Ohio
    Old 12-20-2009, 10:55 AM
    Power Poster

I think the flat rates have a weight limit. I wonder if you went over the weight limit and they charged you more for that ? They get you coming and going and then wonder why they are having such financial issues ???? DUH.....