Problem with flip top cans

Old 08-19-2012, 09:20 AM

DH only began 'helping' me recently. I always did all the shopping, etc. but thought it was time for him to lend a hand. He's getting pretty good at finding bargins and is a big help getting all the bags into the car and into the house.

I agree about the thinner plastic bottles, almost squeezed a bottle of ice tea in half trying to get the cap off.
Old 08-19-2012, 09:46 AM
Power Poster

I opened a pop-top can of cat food in January, and it had mold all across the top. After e-mailing the comany 4 times and giving them the information and my address repeatedly, I still have not gotten any satisfaction. They said that they sent coupons two times. I never got them. I will not buy that brand again.
Old 08-19-2012, 12:17 PM

I've had sodas do that before, but not cans of food.
Old 08-20-2012, 03:29 AM

I was told that when the pull top cans leak its because they are ' close' to expiration date, or they are kept in a too warm environment. When buying can goods I will look for a close to or empty box on the shelves.Who knew we'd have to start treating can goods like eggs.I buy soda for company and I'm yet to get a 12 pk home.I keep a waxed produce box with an old towel in it to keep that sticky mess contained.
Old 08-20-2012, 04:44 AM

DH just started as cashier for a supermarket. She was complimented on her bag packing skills. Told the cutomer that her mom was suing cloth bags before they were the thing. She's been packing them since she was about 7 - at least 15 years. Have been carrying cloth bags since before she was born.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by May in Jersey
Another problem with cans lately is that they dent so easily. I make sure I don't choose dented cans but when I get them home every once in awhile I'll find a dented can. I bring them back to the supermarket on my next visit. Can sides are so much thinner now and just moving around in the plastic grocery bags does it. DH helps me with food shopping lately and he trys to pack the bags to keep this from happening. I wish we could go back to using paper bags because it is easier to line the items up inside of them and things tended to stay in place.
Might I suggest making some Fabric bags with the plastic canvas inside the sides and bottom, you can tie it instead of quilting with a machine. Use a paper bag as a template and it should fold up the same way.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:50 AM
Power Poster

I think some container companies did studies to see just how thin they could make cans and bottles before they collapsed!

I hate those pull-off tops for soups and fruits. The cans are hard to rinse clean and I've cut myself on them more than once.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:13 AM

I don't trust those pull-off tops on soups and things like that. Always save the can if there is a problem, call the toll-free number for the company and you will get oodles of coupons.

Water bottles are thinner to reduce the amount of plastic waste that is building up in landfills or having to be recycled. Might want to consider a reusable water bottle and a filter pitcher.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:15 AM

Nope havent had any problems.
Old 08-20-2012, 12:03 PM

DH and I almost always pack our own homemade grocery bags. One boy at the grocery store told me he could get all my groceries in two of my bags (They are large). I told him just because he COULD didn't mean he should. I needed to carry them. He did it anyway, so I filed a complaint against him. We watch them like hawks now.