question about finances

Old 08-30-2010, 07:57 AM

I"ve just learned that what I would "like to have" and what I "need to have" are entirely different matters. I look at fabric online, dream and think how pretty, then close out that site until I want to dream again. That way, I don't actually see the true colors, or feel how it feels, and I can tell myself, maybe it isn't really what I would like, so I'd better not get it. And unless there is something that I HAVE to have from the fabric store, I just don't go there!!It is amazing what we can do without!
Old 08-30-2010, 08:17 AM

I've spent the last several years and a lot of money on stash building. I've made several tops, sent a few out for quilting, but now it's time for me to either do more hand quilting or learn to machine quilt them myself.

I know my grandmother did not spend a fortune on fabric but she sure made a lot of quilts. Most of them were scrappy. All were hand quilted. She must have found a large lot of solid pink fabric for really cheap because she used that in several quilts as sashing and backing. She rarely went shopping ever, because she lived miles from the nearest town, and I doubt they had a fabric store anyway, probably just a general merchandise store, plus she didn't drive. She made do with what she had. Not that we can't splurge once in a while. :lol:
Old 08-30-2010, 10:16 AM

I had to drop back my work schedule to PRN. It really cut down on the fabric I could buy. I ordered Bonnie Hunters book, Scraps and Shirttails, because I love buying shirts from Goodwill, Salvation Army, yardsales, etc, and re-using them for scrappy quilts. I plan on making DH a quilt out of them for Christmas. I also buy sheets for backing and even bought a queen size bedskirt of 100% cotton. It is pink calico and I am making it into a pinwheel quilt. And for the white part, I am using men's white oxfords.

If I buy fabric, it is usually on sale. I refuse to pay $$$$ for a yard of fabric. I buy warm and natural from Hancocks or Hobby Lobby with a coupon. I quilt 99% of my quilts myself. I have only had 2 quilts done by someone else.
Old 08-30-2010, 11:06 AM

I need to clear something up with you, I don't send my stuff out to get quilted. Our little projects like the nine quilt, or doll quilt, or the others, when I sent these out this month, the projects, were a bit pricey for me.I overspent in mailing them out. Does that make better sense?

still thank you for your responses, you did give me ideas on the thrift stores, shirts, so I can start doing or creating my stash for these projects.
Old 08-30-2010, 12:07 PM

I have a really good pension, but the $40 I spent in postage on my p.o. trip was a lot. It tells me to cut back a bit.
Old 08-30-2010, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Psychomomquilter
I need to clear something up with you, I don't send my stuff out to get quilted. Our little projects like the nine quilt, or doll quilt, or the others, when I sent these out this month, the projects, were a bit pricey for me.I overspent in mailing them out. Does that make better sense?

still thank you for your responses, you did give me ideas on the thrift stores, shirts, so I can start doing or creating my stash for these projects.
So the postage is what you overspent on? When I send things out, I try to put it in flat-rate boxes. That way, no matter how heavy, the shipping costs stays a bit lower. The other thing I do, is print the postage at home. You can do that from the USPS site, I just print on regular printer paper and tape it really well to my package. They charge you less if you print it at home. The boxes/envelopes are free if you get them from the post office, I just grab a few when I go there. Also, I try to only sign up for one or maybe two things a month, to keep the shipping costs down.
I hope this helps!
~Heather
Old 08-30-2010, 12:51 PM

Yrs, I have to cut back. People are generous to me, but we are all looking to cut back. I am saving receipts for mailing to charities!
Old 08-30-2010, 01:47 PM

Life’s not always fair we just have to do what we can to make ends meet. Maybe by budgeting and organizing our quilting with our other obligations we can make it a little easier. Try only spending what you need to in your quilting budget each month and what ever is left that month put it in the next months Q budget and then you have a little extra to play with. Also if possible any money left in other budgeted groups reward your self and put it in your quilting account too. It like rewarding yourself each month
Old 08-30-2010, 02:02 PM

I too am on a fixed income and love this board for its ideas and caring ways! I have joined in on several swaps here and enjoy doing them and try to allow for them in my budget! lol at times it is stretched too far, but I have found that many projects use small amounts of fabric ( so far from what I have made) and I end up with more fabric then I needed. So now I looking at the pile of material that I have and will be trying to work it into other projects. I too had been able to purchase scraps from here and fabric shop sales. If I were smart, I would keep pulling from what I have and use up the majority before purchasing any more. It is hard when you see soooooo much beautiful material and patterns out there... but I have been trying to put blindfolds on when out now! If I use what I have ( fabric and patterns ) I should have enough to keep me busy for quite some time.

I think we all get into the "addiction mode" and not realize we don't really need much more of anything. Such fun it can be! :)
Old 08-30-2010, 02:24 PM

I find that having a stash is a luxury and not a necessity for quilting. Just buy what you need for your current project. Even then, there is usually some left over. After several projects, you can make a scrap quilt with those left overs.