question about finances

Old 08-31-2010, 03:34 PM

Another way to save, is to find "free" quilting patterns on line. You'd be amazed how you'd probably never have to own another purchased book or pattern again!
Old 08-31-2010, 04:28 PM

Check in at the thrift shops, let your friends know you love to quilt, get the word out everywhere that you will accept fabric donations. Its fun and you will be surprised how much you will soon accumulate that way. Then just buy the fillers when times are tight
Old 08-31-2010, 08:19 PM

We're all on fixed incomes in my way of thinking.. Only thing those still working have over the rest of us it that they may still get a raise... but they can also get laid-off too... So expect for those few who are independently wealthy, we all only get what we get every month. Those who work for themselves don't even have that comfort.

We all have to watch what we spend... I am breaking myself of buying any fabric without trying to find a way to do without it... by using my stash, or trading, or making a block out of 3 blues instead of the 1 a pattern calls for. I try to buy only on sale. I use coupons. Mostly I try not to think about buying anything and I don't spend time in the fabric stores.

It would be wonderful not to have to pinch every penny, but I think it is going to be a way of life for a lot of us.
Old 08-31-2010, 08:51 PM
Power Poster

Stay out of quilt and fabric stores until you need something and only buy what you need. Sounds easy doesn't it.
Old 09-05-2010, 11:03 AM

You could try to keep an eye out on Craigslist.com or Freecycle.org for your area. This is lewhere i have received quite a bit of my material. The items that come with them just freecycle forward and there ya go!
Old 09-05-2010, 12:24 PM

I am trying to watch pennies, like many of the rest of you. These are some things I do to help that:
*I generally only buy materials specific for a project.
*I know that I sometimes am an impulsive spender so now I look but restrain myself. I go home and think about it (whatever the project/class is) before I go back to the store and spend my money.
*I generally do not participate in swaps, etc. either on here or elsewhere. Not because I don't like people! Mainly because I know that sometimes I fail to follow through. In the same way, I do not participate in secret pals at my school.
*I still do take my quilts to be longarmed...I drive them there (about 20 miles) rather than mail them.
Just some ideas. :)